• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Terra Nova Velo gloves anyone? (1 Viewer)

amelia1730

I am thinking of trying Terra Nova Velo gloves this autumn/winter. Does anyone have comments on these. They are windproof and lightweight, close fitting and have gripper dots on the forefinger and thumb, I believe, which will be good for bins. I think I first saw them in Birdwatching magazine so I guess they would be worth a try. I get so sick of taking gloves on and off to use bins but get so miserable if I don't wear any. Thanks all.

I've got something similar and the grippy stuff is good for bins, I've also got all manner of other gloves... ski gloves, gloves with liners etc....I find fingered gloves aren't much good if, like me, your circulation isn't what it was - isolating the fingers in individual tubes doesn't help keep them warm if there's not much blood circulating around some of them to supply warmth hence I use Buffalo mitts - you wouldn't want to do brain surgery with them on but my fingers remain more useful as they warm each other by contact.

http://www.macmountaineering.co.uk/acatalog/Buffalo.html

Buy a size up as they are very tight.

If you have trouble keeping your hands warm in gloves or mitts I have found the following useful.

With gloves, unless I need to use my fingers to hold bins or kit I withdraw the fingers from the gloves and clench my hands into a fist and hold a coin in the palms. The coin heats up and in turn keeps my hands warm. Same with mitts, use a coin and clench fists.

There are some hand warmers on the market but coins have always done me okay. HTH someone.

dave

If you have trouble keeping your hands warm in gloves or mitts I have found the following useful.

With gloves, unless I need to use my fingers to hold bins or kit I withdraw the fingers from the gloves and clench my hands into a fist and hold a coin in the palms. The coin heats up and in turn keeps my hands warm. Same with mitts, use a coin and clench fists.

There are some hand warmers on the market but coins have always done me okay. HTH someone.

dave

I'll be trying that - thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back