• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

a best bird read (1 Viewer)

POP

One of the threads,mentioned a certain book that had just come out.This made me think if we could nominate the top 10-20 books on birding,not Id or field guides, but travel books or novels that have a strong birding interest.

this would coincide with the BBC big read.I would like to kick off with,The Snow Geese by William Fiennes .

John

'The Country Diary of a Cheshire Man' by A.W. Boyd - a wonderful insight into - mainly - birdwatching between 1930 to 1960 and 'The Peregrine' by J. A Baker, a beautifully written book. There was mention a few years ago on another forum that 'The Peregrine' was going to be made into a TV series (or play - not sure which), but I've heard nothing about it since.

"The hardest thing of all to see is what is really there. Books about birds show pictures of the Peregrine and the text is full of information. Large and isolated in the gleaming whiteness of the page, the hawk stares back at you, bold, statuesque, brightly colored. But when you have shut the book you will seldom see that bird again. Compared with the close and static image, the reality will seem dull and disappointing. The living bird will never be so large, so shiny-bright. It will be deep in landscape and always sinking farther back, always at the point of being lost. Pictures are waxworks beside the passionate mobility of the living bird."

J. A. Baker

saluki

I'll put in another plug for The Birds of Siberia by Henry Seebohm. Real adventure stuff, first published 1901, reprinted 1985 in two paperback volumes, To the Petchora Valley and The Yenesei by Alan Sutton Travel Classics. I think even this new edition is out of print now, but if you see them second-hand anywhere, snap them up.

Michael

I'll second the Birds of Siberia - marvellous read!
Also some great chapters on birds, esp. Honey Buzzards at the nest, in Sporting Interludes in Geneva by Major Antony Buxton.

Andy.

I would add 'Wild America' by James Fisher and Peterson(?), Birders - Tales of a Tribe' by Cocker and 'Golden Eagle Years' by Mike Tomkies.

I was going to mention Birds of Siberia too, the first volume every kindly given to me by the only BF member in the UK I know personally. It's certainly an adventure although it is very likely to offend the sensibilities of the modern reader. Typical sentences go, "Saw two Siberian Jays by the campsite, shot them both. After lunch we came across a pair of Black-throated Divers. We managed to shoot the male but the female escaped etc."

E

There are too many good ones for me to select a favourite but if I am pushed then it has to be Kenn Kauffman's 'Kingbird Highway', a real romantic birder/lister's read. I have Wild America for my next read.

As Andrew has said there are so many to list here, and i have read many, but the one i would like to have here is by John Lister - Kaye and the title is Song of the Rolling Earth, not totally about birds but they play a major part, it is a suppose a biography of John's running of a nature reserve in the highlands of Scotland and how he became interested in wildlife and conservation as a young man, a pleasure to read.

Whilst only featuring birds peripherally can I recommend "Savannah Lives" by Staffan Ulfstrand as a fascinating insight into wildlife and humanity.

It may make you think about the real reasons why we get pleasure from both birding and the great outdoors.

Let me throw "Feather Quest" by Pete Dunne into the mix. Wonderful mix of short stories of birders and birding adventures.

Die-hard listers will enjoy "I Came, I Saw, I Counted" by Sandy Komito. This is the tale of a man intent on setting the record for most species seen in the U.S. and Canada(ABA area) in one year. His travels were not for the weak of heart. He spent at least a month on the island of Attu hoping for Siberian vagrants to be blown in.

dennis

Hello all! This is a good time to bring up Andy Bright's thread that he posted in the last day or two. We now have a section on top for reviews and this isn't just for camera equipment and scopes. You could list a book that you have read and give it a review for other members to check out. I'm going to put the link to Andy's thread just below here.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=9739

I'll give a hearty second to the Pete Dunne and Kenn Kaufmann books already listed, and to "Wild America" and the Fiennes book, and would like to add a few more titles.

A personal favorite is "Red Tails in Love" by Marie Wynn, the tale of hawks nesting on skyscrapers in New York City, and the Central Park birding club.

"The Birds of Heaven" by Peter Matthiesen, his story of searching out and finding all the species of crane on the planet. The hardback edition is illustrated by the wonderful artist Robert Bateman.

An older series that is at least peripherally about birds, but mostly the natural history of the US in general is the series by Edwin Way Teale: North with the Spring, Wandering Through Winter, Into the Summer, and Autumn Across America. These books were written in the 50s and probably now completely out of print. He and his wife traveled throughout the country, following the seasons. Teale won a Pulitzer Prize for the series. His autobiography, "Dune Boy" is definitely out of print, even the reprint edition, but is a wonderful evocation of the Indiana Dunes at the turn of the 20th century -- and landscape that now exists only in very small, scattered parcels along Indiana's Lake Michigan lakefront.

Aren't we fortunate to have a hobby/love/passion that has so much wonderful writing about it?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back