• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca butterfly (1 Viewer)

davidh

I've just returned from a weeks birding holiday in Mallorca. Whilst there I came accross a rather stunning butterfly which did not appear in any of the guides that I had. It didn't hang around so I couldn't get a photo, but on my return I trawled the net to try to identify it. The only possibility I can find is a Plain Tiger. However I can't find any references to a Plain Tiger for Mallorca. Can anyone tell me if this could be possible ?

We were there in Sept/Oct and whilst the birds species were up on previous years, the butterlflies and insects were down.

We did see Swallowtail, Painted Lady and the one below, but really that was it for this year.

Butterfly

Last edited:
Hi Ian, Your unknown Butterfly is of the Genus Colias, Family Pieridae, but I couldn´t tell you which species exactly, having not much experience with that genus in the mediterranean.

Hope that helps,

Joern

I`m not familiar with the mediteranean species either, but I don`t see anything that would necessarily make me question Common or Garden Clouded Yellow

Hi David,
The Plain Tiger is occasionally reported from the Mediterranean area, especially, Greece and southern Italy.
( Collins field guide. Butterflies of Britain & Europe )

Tom

Thanks for the Clouded Yellow ID.

I think I'd rather have seen David's Plain Tiger though. Previously Common Pasha have been about in good numbers, but not this time.

Thanks all,

A Plain Tiger it is then. Loads of Clouded Yellows there too during my week, and two other new butterflies for me: Long-tailed Blue and Bath White.

Davidh

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back