• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding near Victoria Falls (1 Viewer)

pandachris

Yes, I know that they're not in South Africa, so sort of apologies for cross-posting but I imagine the Zambia Forum is not visited all that often. I'm hoping some experienced Southern African birders (or indeed one off visitors to the region) will be able to help me.

We've ended through no fault of our own with about 6 hours of daylight at Victoria Falls. Can anyone give me a few tips about how to get the most out of birding in that time (and see the falls as well).

Locations within walking/short taxi drive distance and key species to look out for would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chis,

I spent a couple of days at the Falls 3 years ago as part of a 30th anniversary trip, so as you can imagine birding had to come second, for a change. Even so I managed around 100 species within a short distance of the Falls.
There are two hotels very near the Falls (Zambesi Sun and Royal Livingstone), they front the Zambesi for quite a distance. The extensive grounds were my main birding area along with the area around the Falls and a small reserve up the road from the hotels.
Species included:

Purple backed Starling
Blue Waxbill - hundreds of them
Melba Finch
Heuglin's Robin
Red billed Firefinch
Paradise Flicker
Open billed Stork
Yellow throated Petronia
Amethyst Sunbird
Pale Flicker
Long billed Crombec
Capped Wheatear
FT Drongo
African Grey Hornbill
White fronted Bee Eater
Blue cheeked Bee eater
Hamerkop
Sacred Ibis
African Hobby
Lappet faced Vulture
Skimmer
Red chested Cuckoo
Trumpeter Hornbill
Jamesons Firefinch
Rock Pratincole
Fawn coloured Lark
BW Pratincole
Tawny, Lesser-spotted, Long crested Eagles
White faced Duck
Grey headed Parrot
Southern Carmine Bee Eater
Southern Ground Hornbill
Cardinal Woodpecker
Collared Palm Thrush
Black collared Barbet
Maribu Stork
Senegal Couchal
Red bellied Francolin

John

Thanks John

We’re staying in the Zambezi Sun, although it was not our choice. Nor was the two nights – we made the mistake of booking through a Travel Agent for convenience and have had nothing but problems since. We were really hoping to have three nights which would have given us a full day with a local guide. We’re still “discussing” the foul up with SATSA

We’ve done a spot of birding in several parts of Africa so some from your list are familiar but if you have any more accurate pointers for the following I’d be intrigued :

Purple backed Starling
Capped Wheatear
Lappet faced Vulture
Skimmer
Red chested Cuckoo
Rock Pratincole
Fawn coloured Lark
BW Pratincole
Grey headed Parrot
Southern Carmine Bee Eater
Collared Palm Thrush
Red bellied Francolin

I appreciate that some of these will be birds that you find just by birdwatching but I’m guessing there might be specific spots for one or two. Skimmer is one species we’d be keen to see – were they relatively easy to find? Above, below or near the Falls or somewhere else entirely.

Chris,
Many of the species were in the grounds of the hotels or just outside. We took a boat trip one evening (highly recommend the cheaper one without the meal, can be booked through the Zambesi Sun) and had the Skimmers within feet of the boat, also good for the Hornbills, Pratincoles and African Hobby. You can take a trip from the hotel to a local reserve (can't remember name) and that is where I saw the remainder of the species.
There's a small lake (pond) in the grounds of the Zambesi Sun - not far from the pool - which is worth checking from time to time (Purple backed Starling).

BTW - the Zambesi Sun was fine, except for the colour of the buildings. Word of warning though, if you like wine take it with you and drink in your room. Cheapest at dinner in the hotel was USD30 (and it wasn't £1=$2 at that time).

Best of luck

John

Thanks again John

We'll print this off and take it with us - and it looks like the cruise is now on the itinerary.

Are Purple-backed Starlings what used to be called Plum-coloured Starlings - a much nicer name imo.

Hi Chis,

There are two hotels very near the Falls (Zambesi Sun and Royal Livingstone), they front the Zambesi for quite a distance. The extensive grounds were my main birding area along with the area around the Falls and a small reserve up the road from the hotels.

John

The reserve is/was called Mosi-oi-tonya I think. If you go on the boat trip keep a look out for African Finfoot. Ive seen them at Kubu Cabins a bit further along the Zambezi.

Have you tried the Zambian Ornithological Society? Bob Stjernstedt lives near Livingstone and may be able to help. I think he used to do guided walks etc.

http://www.wattledcrane.com/

Although with only 6hrs you will barely have time to do both the falls and somewhere else (not that the Zambian side of the falls is that big).

Have a great time, wish I was heading back there.

Gareth

ps regarding Chobe, there is a bird hide in one of the hotels (i think chobe game lodge - the most expensive) on the banks of the river where you could see Brown Firefinch easily. The town of Kasane has a large Chiroptera bat roost (above the Chemists in 1999) that attracts bat hawk regularly. I met a birder employed at the above mentioned lodge who was going to chuck me out of the hotel as I was not staying there, but after a little chatting became friendly and offered site for Pels Fishing Owl, I didnt have chance to go and have forgotton it, but may be worth looking into.

Last edited:
Thanks Gareth

We've a helicopter trip booked for the falls so will get two bites at the cheery, so to speak - that's on our 2nd morning before we fly back. Chobe is on a guided tour presumably with lots of other people. We'll mention to the guide that we're interested in birds but it will be hit or miss. Tends to relate very much to how well the guide knows his/her birds and what the reasonably experienced birder wants to see in any specific region.

We've seen Finfoot before so we'll be more intent on geting on to Skimmers, which have eluded us a couple of times. Might give the ZOS a try though. Thanks for the URL.

Chris - you don't mention dates, so I hope this is in time.
If you're doing a boat trip on Chobe, skimmers can be found there. They need exposed sandbanks for breeding, so a lot depends on water levels. In Kasane there is a bird hide a short distance downstream along the river bank from the front of the Mowana Safari Lodge. The hide looks onto the Chobe rapids. Rock pratincoles habitually occur there, sitting on the rocks in the rapids. I have seen Collared Palm Thrush right there in the hotel grounds. They are used to people and often allow close approach.
I think you mean red-BILLED francolin. They are very common, and you should see them without difficulty along the Botswana bank of the Chobe.
Carmine bee-eaters are found on Chobe, as are white-fronted bee-eaters.
Other birds you might want to look out for on Chobe are Long-toed Lapwings, painted snipe, red-winged pratincole, slaty egret, rufous-bellied heron. I have seen white-backed night heron on the Zambezi not far above Victoria Falls, so they will occur in the Chobe area as well.
Red-chested Cuckoos are everywhere right now. Best way is to listen for their characteristic three-note call, each note a little lower than the previous one. Not easy to see, though....they keep well hidden in the trees.
Hope all that helps.
Dave Kennedy

Thanks Dave (et al)

A bit late for us as we'd been back in RSA for about 3 days, but it's the thought that counts. Given the limited time we had in Zambia/Botswana we managed to see most of the species listed by you and John either on the Zambia leg of our trip or during our time in South Africa. The parrot and the RB Heron eluded us and we didn't see Collared Palm Thrush, although one was responding to our whistled mimicry in Shigwedzi Rest Camp. We missed Painted Snipe, Finfoot and a few others that we've seen elsewhere but were delighted by the Skimmers at Chobe and the Rock Pratincoles above the Victoria Falls, easily visible from the grounds of the Royal Livingstone Hotel (which along with the Zambezi Sun should, IMO, be demolished and returned to the nature reserve).

We'd definitely have liked another day in the area and we still haven't had a satisfactory response from the Travel Agent that cocked the whole thing up, but nonetheless a worthwhile diversion.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back