• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shaggy maines (1 Viewer)

DoveKeeper

Last friday I saw the largest flush of shaggy maines I have ever wittnessed. I first noticed the mushrooms as I walked to my boat. I stopped and checked them out...quite a few I might add. Most in good condition. About a week later walking by the same spot I looked over to see if there were anymore....My jaw dropped. There was a patch ten feet across and twenty feet long. I went over for a closer look and to my suprise there were two more patches just like it up ahead of it. WIsh I had a camera with me. I came by about four hours later and the majority of them had begun to dilesque. Other mushrooms had pushed up high. I bet you could almost watch them grow.

Yes....they are known as ink caps.....the latin name I'm not sure. They melt away soon after they fruit. Also they produce a "metalic" taste in your mouth if ingested with alcahol. I have eaten them. They are best blanched shortly after harvest. Also they have a texture similar to asparagus. I think the Name is coprinus comatus. I have seen these suckers push right up through asphalt and yet they are so delicate.

Yes! we call them Lawyers Wigs! Coprinus comatus. A common agaric on disturbed soil or old rubbish dumps. If eaten when the gills are white they are very good. Apparantly (Dont try this at home kids) if eaten with alcohol your skin turns blue.

Skin turns blue...the last time my skin turned blue was when I saw what the Mrs. did to the checking account. I have always wanted to find a true morel mushroon.. I have never succeded. A guy I was working with from Illinois used to pick them for extra cash.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back