• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Canon IS bino? (1 Viewer)

Peewee

I have been lucky to try out the 15x50 Canon from a colleague. I must say I really like the IS feature but I also found some drawbacks of the 15x50. The weight is just to much for me. Another thing I did not like was the shallow Depth of Field. I know it normal that it’s worse than a 8x of 10x bino but I found it to be just not good enough for me. So now I am thinking of maybe buying a 12x36 or a 10x30 Canon IS (I know, not waterproof but that does not bother me that much). I have seen the specs on the brochure but unfortunately that does not make it possible to judge field of focus and image quality.

Does anyone have pro and cons on these binos especially with regard to field of focus/ depth of field.

I will try before I buy so any comment on what to pay attention to is welcome.

Thank in advance.

Cheers Peter

Last edited:
Hi Peter, I got the 12x36 some months back, and they have become my bins of choice for most outings. I did a very unscientific, layman´s "comparison" between them and the Swarovski 10x42 EL, you´ll find it here: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=92021. To summarise- the Canon IS 12x36 have significantly lesser quality glass to the EL´s. They are "weatherproof", i.e. a good shower of rain won´t damage them, but they can´t be immersed in water. The FOV is 5 degrees (compared to the EL´s 6.3, but remember it´s 12x versus 10x). There is some flare and CA in front-lit or side-lit views when the sun is strong. All that said, they are light, easy to use, comfortable to hold, and the IS feature is truly a winner IMHO. I don´t know how to measure Depth of Field, sorry, but it compares well with the EL 10x. Sometimes when panning with the IS button pressed, you have to re-focus slightly, but any disadvantages like this are far outweighed by the IS, which really is a feature that must be experienced in the field to be fully appreciated. BTW, I´d be inclined to go, if I were you, for the 12x, my rationale being that the whole point of IS is to make higher magnifications a viable proposition. The diopter is inclined to move, just tape it up with a coil of duct-tape. There are no lens caps, but adapt a pair for the eyepiece lenses from some other bins. There are a few pairs of IS for sale on e-bay at the moment! Best of Luck.

Last edited:
Agree with Sancho 100% I have the 12X36s and love them the only small criticism I have is the close focus isn't as good as I would like, sometimes I find myself in the peculiar circumstance of moving away from something so I can have a closer view if you see what I mean.

Mick

Thanks Sancho and thanks Mick

I have just made an appointment for next wednesday to try out the 10x30 and 12x36. I will let you know if I will end up with either one.

Cheers Peter

Thanks Sancho and thanks Mick

I have just made an appointment for next wednesday to try out the 10x30 and 12x36. I will let you know if I will end up with either one.

Cheers Peter

Oooh, lucky you! I love going to check out new bins!!!;) Best of Luck with your choice!

Oooh, lucky you! I love going to check out new bins!!!;) Best of Luck with your choice!

Well.. I've got the 12x36 now. I tried both but as you said it makes more sense to buy 12x instead of 10x when you have IS. So I ended up with these. I've hardly had the time to look though them but the IS feature still amazes me. Just push the button and see the difference. Really great.

Unlike the 15x50 you have to keep the IS-button pushed in to enjoy the IS feature. I am sure I will get used to that but it came as a surprise to me.

Next weekend I will do some birding on Texel (a birding island in the NW of the Netherlands) . After that I think I'll be able to judge these binoculars properly.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers Peter

Last edited:
Congratulations, Peter, I hope you get many years happy use from your new bins. Report to us after the weekend on your assessment, and have a great trip!

Unlike the 15x50 you have to keep the IS-button pushed in to enjoy the IS feature. I am sure I will get used to that but it came as a surprise to me.
Cheers Peter[/quote

You will get used to it pretty quick, sometimes when I use my old Nikons I find myself fiddling about trying to find the stabiliser button on that.

Mick

Report to us after the weekend on your assessment, and have a great trip!

Ok Sancho . Here is my report.

Review of Canon 12x36 IS Binocular

Here’s my opinion on these binoculars after 3 days of extensive use. Before you read on please note that:

1. I’ve only tried these out for 3 days and I did not do much of testing/comparing.
2. I’m no optics expert whatsoever.

So here are the figures from the canon website to start with.

Magnification (x) 12
Objective Diameter (mm) 36
Exit Pupil (mm) 3
Real Field-of-View 5.0º
Apparent Field-of-View 60º
Field-of-View at 1000 (m) 87.5
Closest Focusing Distance (m) 6
Eye Relief (mm) 14.5
Prism ll
Objective Lens Movement YES
Inner Objective Lens Movement NO
Eyepiece Lens Movement NO
Image Stabiliser YES
Field Flattener Lens °°
UD Lens NO
Power Source 2x AA size batteries
Rubber Coating YES
Weatherproof NO

I have not checked whether these specs are exactly the same on my pair but I just trust Canon on this.

I tried these out during a weekend birding in Texel (Island NW in the Netherlands. Great place to visit BTW). The weather was just perfect. The sun was out almost all the time (no not at night) and there were a lot of birds to be seen.

Now here is what I think about these bins.

Physics of the 12x36 IS II
These binoculars are of the so called Porro types. Unlike ordinary porros the objectives do not move when you change the IPD. It is just the eyepieces that move when you adjust IPD. The rubber armouring is pleasant. The eyecups are just plain rubber eyecups that you can fold so they can be used by eyeglass wearers. Although twist-up eyecups are much preferred I am not really bothered by the old-fashioned rubber eyecups.
The package contains 2 batteries, 2 eyepiece covers that are not much anyway. I don’t know why Canon does not include objective covers. A simple but effective case for the binoculars is also included.

Using the 12x36
Although technically these are exceptional, practically these bins is very simple and using and adjusting is very much like we are used to. Just focus the left barrel with the central focuser, change the diopter-adjuster on the right barrel so that this is in focus. Use the central focuser to focus on whatever you want to focus on. Then when you want to see even better just press the IS button and magic happens. Handshake is (almost) eliminated and you see a lot more detail. If you think you can hold your binocular really still just try these and then see if you still think the same. I doubt it. (OK 12x is always difficult but still…)
This IS feature is very handy when following birds in flight. I use the IS button when I really want to focus. While scanning the surrounding I do not keep the button pressed but when I see something I want to see more clearly I just push the button and let the technique do the job. Really great.

Optics and image
As I said I am no expert but the optics seem to be OK (at least for me). I am sure it is not as good as lets say the Swaro EL series but with the IS button pushed down I am sure the Canon bins show you more then any other non stabilised binocular. The image is bright and shows a lot of detail when the button is pushed. With the IS feature, 12x and even more is now possible without a monopod or tripod. Isn’t this great for us birders?

Things I liked about this binoculars are:

1. IS feature (no surprise here)
2. Smooth focussing of the central focuser
3. The focussing. From close focus (6m)to infinity ….clockwise (as I think it should be.. but that may be just me)
4. The depth of field is much better then on the 15x50 (as expected) and is acceptable. Whished for more but I do not know whether that is realistic with 12x.
5. The weight. 745 grams including batteries and strap. Not too much not too little.

Things I did not like using this binocular are:

1. The focussing from close to infinity is less then 360 degrees. Because of the relative shallow depth of field I would have preferred more then 360 degrees so more precise focussing is possible. (This is not really a big issue and I just might get used to it)
2. In order to enjoy the IS feature you have to keep the button pressed. This is not much of an issue either but I prefer the method applied to the 15x50. With these you just push once so the IS is ON and push again and the IS is OFF.
3. The looks. I do not think it looks great but then again is works great. (I am more a function-over-form type of person)

During the weekend I had some other birders look through the Canons. Most of them had Swaro EL binoculars but all were very impressed by the Canons.

These are my first impressions of the Canons. I expect to enjoy these for the next years and just hope they will be reliable.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks for that Peter! I´m no optics expert either, but your performance report really sums up the Canon IS 12x36, and I agree wholeheartedly. My "dream" pair of binoculars would be these with Canon L-series glass (or an equivalent IS bins made by Swaro or Leica). Thank you for your comment on the DOF in the 15x50, I was thinking of saving up for a pair of 15 or 18x IS, but DOF is an important consideration and you may just have saved me a lot of money! BTW, I spent last weekend on an island peering into bushes for small passerine migrants, and the Canon IS 12x36 were not the best for this task...the "long" short-focus and the narrow (5 degrees) FOV made them unsuitable, and I opted for 8x EL´s instead. Just a thought, but it might be worth bearing in mind for someone who´s sensible enough to want to live with just one pair of binoculars; 8x standard bins will do for all situations, whereas 12x IS, although superb at longer range, won´t do for close work in cover. Best of Luck!

Last edited:
I was thinking of saving up for a pair of 15 or 18x IS, but DOF is an important consideration and you may just have saved me a lot of money!

Sancho

I am glad I may have saved you a lot of money. Mrs. Sancho will probably be more pleased then me. But she probably also knows that you have to try before you buy. Things that do not work for me might just work for you (Sorry Mrs. Sancho)

BTW, I spent last weekend on an island peering into bushes for small passerine migrants, and the Canon IS 12x36 were not the best for this task...the "long" short-focus and the narrow (5 degrees) FOV made them unsuitable, and I opted for 8x EL´s instead. Just a thought, but it might be worth bearing in mind for someone who´s sensible enough to want to live with just one pair of binoculars; 8x standard bins will do for all situations, whereas 12x IS, although superb at longer range, won´t do for close work in cover. Best of Luck!

I am lucky to have another pair of bins (8x Nikon Action Extreme) and another pair on the way (Nikon Monarchs 10x36) so do not feel sorry for me. ;-) I'll be fine.

Cheers Peter

Sancho

I am glad I may have saved you a lot of money. Mrs. Sancho will probably be more pleased then me. But she probably also knows that you have to try before you buy.
Thanks Peter! Problem is, I can´t try before I buy in this case, at least Canon IS. No-one in Ireland stocks them! Strange but true. Shows that they´re really not popular with birders. So I would have to order them or buy on-line. Or wait till a nice trip to the Netherlands....I have a nephew who live in Den Haag, that would be a good excuse to visit him, and get a little continental birding in too!!:t:

Thanks Peter! Problem is, I can´t try before I buy in this case, at least Canon IS. No-one in Ireland stocks them! Strange but true. Shows that they´re really not popular with birders. So I would have to order them or buy on-line. Or wait till a nice trip to the Netherlands....I have a nephew who live in Den Haag, that would be a good excuse to visit him, and get a little continental birding in too!!:t:

Sancho

If you do come over check out this store. Not that far from Den Haag and I think that the price is not bad either. Usually you can try before you buy if they have things stocked. Just ring them before you go.

http://www.kamera-express.nl/index.php?page=subsubtypes&subsubtype=681

Cheers Peter

I have the 10 ,12 & 15,s I love them all.I just checked the close focus on the 10,s it is about 12 ft & about 27 ft on the 12,s & 21 ft on the 15,s.
I checked these distances with a tape measure .
If i want to get closer i,ll use a Papillio.
Brian.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back