• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Foxes and pork!! (1 Viewer)

KLH

Hi

Just a quick question about feeding foxes pork. I have recently read information about feeding foxes, and this info was from a fox welfare organisation. Apparently pork can give them the runs and possibly lead to death. Now I, along with lots of others around my block have put out scraps of pork, he's had the odd chop and sausages, ham scraps, basically lots of pork related stuff, and he's around four years old now, so he ain't keeled over yet!! Very healthy looking animal, no mange - beautiful winter coat with a large bushy tail, so he's in optimum condition.

Can anyone elaborate on why pork shouldn't be given? A neighbour said cat food shouldn't be given, nor pork be given to domestic dogs, but it is the first I've heard of this, and I'm in my mid forties and owned dogs myself - they ate pork scraps with no probs!!

Cheers

Kris

Hi Kris,

I also feed Foxes, but since being told pork does them no good I don't feed it to them at all. Pork is an iffy meant anyway and I'd hate to put them or any other animal at risk, after all you've possibly got more than one visiting anyway! It's never worth chancing it to my mind and if it does give them the runs why even think of still feeding it. Milk has the same affects and so shouldn't be given either. Why not give them tinned dog food, a far better option along with scraps.

Sue.

Hi Sue

Since reading about it, I stopped giving it to them anyway!! They get dog food in tins and chubs too - allsorts really. They like the sausages, but am going to have to find beef ones only as they've been getting pork ones until I found out they shouldn't!! Beef ones are darn dearer too!

Cheers again

Off to get that train now - 10 mins to get to station!!

Bit of a late entry on this thread , but if Foxes can't be given Pork or milk , it sounds like they have a Cows Milk Lactose intolerance , pigs are generally fed on foodstuffs containing by products from milk and cheese production ( in the farmers bought in feed ) so much so that milk free pork is being produced now for people with the said intolerance .

Ashley

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back