• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ecuador feb 2007 (1 Viewer)

forthbirder

Hi folks. I have just finalised the arrangements for a trip to Ecuador in Feb of next year. I will be travelling with some non birders but hope to get in some birding everywhere I go. I will be staying at La luna near Otavalo, close to the Mojanda Lakes. I 've heard there are resident condors near the lakes and would love to hear from anyone who has birded the area and can recommend other worthwhile locations in the area.
Then we go to Rio Verde, near Banos and will be staying at El Otro Lado. I am aware of the Cock of thr Rock Lek at this location but would be interested in hearing of any other gems to be found thereabouts.
We end up at Alambi Lodge at the lower Tandayapa valey. Loads of info about Tandayapa area but not much info about the lodge and its environs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.Many thanks, Mark.

The Alambi River is at the bottom of the Tandayapa Valley, just off the main highway (turn left off the highway coming from Quito and it's just up on the left hand side of the road). The lodge itself is very nice (I went in there with one of the drivers on the way back from an excursion to Rio Silanche, as he was keeping an eye on the place as it was empty at the time so we left the car at the lodge and went to look for birds) and in a gorgeous setting, plus it has the obligatory feeders with lots of hummingbirds and tanagers. The river holds White-capped Dippers, Torrent Tyrranulets and Torrent Ducks (the latter very elusive). The little Alambi village close by has a few houses and a bar and Tandayapa itself is just up the road.

Here's a link: Rio Alambi

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back