• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Subliminal sounds? (1 Viewer)

KC Foggin

Very, very long time member
Supporter
United States
Honest, I wasn't crazy the last time I looked.
Since I bought my new computer back in July and am now a fond user of XP, I have noticed certain sounds coming out of the computer when I am logged on to the internet. Sometimes it may be birds chirping, sometimes it may be a whistle of sorts. It is always done on a duplicate basis with maybe a ten second pause inbetween. I have checked every sound in my computer sounds file and nothing matches what I hear. Has anyone experienced this?

Hi KC,

Strange!

One thing that springs to mind is the recent spate of motherboards with onboard diagnostic 'voices', maybe there is some setting in the BIOS?!?

Have you tried turning off all sounds (control panel - sounds and audio devices - sounds - sound scheme)?

Do you have any 'helper' programs for internet explorer installed? Downloaders? Clipboard extenders?...........

Anything that adds itself to your right-click menu?

Some programs: MSN Messenger for instance now play sounds when certain 'smilies' are displayed.

I use PestPatrol running in the background - it makes a noise when it 'deals with' a spyware cookie etc.

I'd love to troubleshoot it, when can I pick up the 'plane ticket?

;-)

Begin by Start - Run type in msconfig, hit enter and check your startup files for oddities.

Does it happen on the same website?

Have you run a check to make sure that you are not running a trojan server like subseven?

I'll have to visit..............

Try to find a trigger that you can replicate.

Cheers,

Andy.

So many questions Andy. Most of which I can honestly say Huh? to. :) Ironically, I usually have several windows going at one time but tonight they were all minused down and I was working in a Quattro Pro document when the whistles came. This past weekend I was on Listserv for Carolina Birders when the whistles arrived. As always twice with several seconds inbetween them. Come to think of it I haven't heard the bird chirping for a couple of weeks now.

As far as I know, I have no "helpers" installed. This never occurred with Win98. I quickly learned how to get rid of the annoying messenger popups that plagued me on the taskbar when I first set up this computer.

I just ran msconfig and to be honest with you Andy, I wouldn't know what should and shouldn't be there. I mean half of it was recognizable but there were a goodly sum I didn't know what the heck they were. Like ccApp, ALCXMNTR, ccRegVfy, etc. Too bad I couldn't copy that screen and paste it here for you. :)
I am running Norton antivirus and Norton 2004 firewall but the sounds appeared even before I installed the firewall.

Hello... I was doing a search on subliminal sounds through the Internet and found this link... I have also noticed that there are strange sounds coming from my speakers but it isn't always, not chirping or bird sounds, but more as speech obscured by static noises... I've recorded them and tried to demodulate in various frequencies but it remains very obscure... though I'm certain that there must be some human voices in there...
Maybe it's deliberated subliminal sounds, though I would rather think that it's a carrier interfering with the connection, maybe a radio or television carrier...
Anyway, I'm on the watch for this, one never knows...
Bye
Caroline :eek!:

Hi Caroline and a warm welcome to you from me and the rest of the staff here at BirdForum.net.

I don't profess to understand computers all that well. I'm a happy camper if it turns on in the a.m. :)

Caroline may have hit the nail on the head here; I remember hearing of a vacuum cleaner that would pick up a local radio hams' transmissions; it was down to corrosion between two metal plates in the 'cleaner....I suppose you could check that all your connections are tight.....

Andy.

Hi KC Andy may have it as an ex radio amateur I know that it is possible for lots of equipment to pick up transmissions and seeing as a computer has speakers attached it is quite possible the leads are acting as an antennae. You could try grtting a couple of feritte rings about 25cm in diamater and wind your speaker cables around them as near to the speakers as poss.
Do you have a radio ham close by if so let him/her know and they will probably try to help, like birders they are usually a friendly bunch.

Hope this is of help good luck

Pete

Your sounds, KC, are much different from mine, but having read the rest of the posts here, I can confirm that I occasionally here "talking" from my PC.

It actually sounds like next door, so maybe it's a phoneline thing... and maybe they ought to be careful what they say!!! ;)

"I have checked every sound in my computer sounds file and nothing matches what I hear. Has anyone experienced this?"

Since using XP pro, I often hear "Bahhhhhhh" softly coming out of my speakers. Then the volume level seems to turn up really loud.
I'm not too worried as I think that it's just the RAM, or the MEGA-RAM!!

Malky. Been fishing, caught 7 RainbowTrout this evening. All on catch and release. Watched an Osprey helping it's self. Excellent evening.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back