• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Interesting article on brook lamprey (1 Viewer)

Me too, thanks for posting.

Just up the road from me. I will have to have a look.
I noticed that they were seen in Spring. Do you know if they would be so easy to see at other times of the year?

You're unlikely to see them at other times of the year. They spend most of their life buried in muddy river banks and bottoms filter feeding, and only metamorphise into adults and come out to mate. I've read that they will die if dug out of the mud/earth river banks and bottoms, and that this sort of digging "destroys their habitat".

I was looking forward to seeing some this year, but didn't organise myself sufficiently during the few good weather days during the breeding season. So it's next year for me I suppose.

You're unlikely to see them at other times of the year. They spend most of their life buried in muddy river banks and bottoms filter feeding, and only metamorphise into adults and come out to mate. I've read that they will die if dug out of the mud/earth river banks and bottoms, and that this sort of digging "destroys their habitat".

I was looking forward to seeing some this year, but didn't organise myself sufficiently during the few good weather days during the breeding season. So it's next year for me I suppose.

Thanks for the info Carless.

I will certainly look out for them in the Spring.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back