Alternative names: Golden Honeyeater; Cleptornis
- Cleptornis marchei
14cm. An unmistakable bird.
- Yellow to orange head with narrow pale eyering
- Yellowish-green back
- Fringed orange-yellow wing and tail feathers
- Golden orange-yellow underparts washed cinnamon-red on flanks and undertail-coverts
- Dark brown eyes
- Orange bill and legs
Sexes similar but females shorter-winged and shorter-billed.
Juveniles are duller and have a paler plumage than adults with brownish-yellow areas on back side of head.
Only found on Saipan and Aguijan in southern Northern Mariana Islands, Pacific.
A restricted-range species. The introduced Brown Tree-snake is likely to lead to a massive decrease of this species. Listed as critically endangered.
This is a monotypic species.
It was initially placed in the genus Ptilotis and thought to be a Honeyeater but DNA analysis indicated the placement in the current family. Closely related to Long-billed White-eye.
Found in the understorey of wooded and semi-open habitats including suburban areas and strand forests. More common in native limestone forest than in disturbed areas. Not present in Susupe marshes.
Feeds on berries, fruits, nectar, flowers, invertebrates and flying insects.
Usually seen in family groups of 3 to 4 birds, sometimes in larger, noisy groups of up to 12 birds. Often followed by Rufous Fantails when foraging.
A territorial species. Breeds in all months except November. The nest is cup-shaped and made of casuarina needles, grasses, vine tendrils and coarse hairs. It's placed 1.5 to 6.5m above the ground in a tree. Lays 2 eggs.
Movements not known.
- Clements, JF. 2011. The Clements Checklist of Birds of the World. 6th ed., with updates to August 2011. Ithaca: Cornell Univ. Press. ISBN 978-0801445019. Spreadsheet available at http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/downloadable-clements-checklist
- Del Hoyo, J, A Elliott, and D Christie, eds. 2008. Handbook of the Birds of the World. Volume 13: Penduline-tits to Shrikes. Barcelona: Lynx Edicions. ISBN 978-8496553453
 External Links