- Haemorhous mexicanus
L. 5-6" (13-15 cm)
Bright red on crown, breast, and rump. A yellow carotinoid variant is sometimes seen (photo below).
Plain, unstriped head and heavy streaking on light underside
Less highly coloured, often orangish or yellowish on head and breast
In north-west Mexico is a region where House Finch males are extensively red and with much less brownish streaking on the underside (probably subspecies ruberrimus).
North America, Canada to southern Mexico
Formerly placed in genus Carpodacus.
The yellow carotinoid variant
Photo by digishooter
Kern Co, CA, USA
, May 2011
This is a polytypic species consisting of twelve subspecies:
- H. m. ruberrimus: Southern Baja California and north-western Mexico (Sonora, southern Sinaloa and south-western Chihuahua)
- H. m. rhodopnus: Arid tropical central Sinaloa
- H. m. coccineus: Mountains of south-western Mexico (southern Nayarit and western Zacatecas to western MichoacĂˇn)
- H. m. potosinus: Southern Texas (Rio Grande Valley) to Chihuahua and south-western Tamaulipas
- H. m. centralis: Central Mexican plateau (Guanajuato, QuerĂ©taro and adjacent states)
- H. m. mexicanus: South central Mexican plateau (eastern MichoacĂˇn to Hidalgo and Oaxaca)
- H. m. roseipectus: Southern Mexico (southern Puebla and Valley of Oaxaca)
- H.. m. griscomi: South-western Mexico (Sierra Madre del Sur of Guerrero)
- H. m. mcgregori: Formerly San Benito and Cedros island (off Baja California). Extinct
Deserts, orchards, coastal valleys and forests.
A tightly woven, compact nest is made and set in a bush, thicket, natural cavity, or on a building. The clutch consists of 3-5 bluish, lightly streaked or spotted eggs.
Diet includes insects and grass seeds.
- Clements, JF. 2011. The Clements Checklist of Birds of the World. 6th ed., with updates to August 2011. Ithaca: Cornell Univ. Press. ISBN 978-0801445019. Spreadsheet available at http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/downloadable-clements-checklist
- Birdforum thread discussing redder House Finch in Mexico
 External Links