- Lonchura oryzivora
- Grey upperparts and breast
- Pink belly
- White-cheeked black head
- Red eye-ring
- Pink feet
- Thick red bill
- Brown upperparts
- Lighter brown underparts and cheeks
- Remainder of the head is dark grey (as opposed to black)
- Grey bill with a pink base
Indonesia: found in Java, Bali, Lombok, Sumbawa, Kangean Islands; introduced to Christmas Island.
In addition, it is found in the cage bird trade, and populations originating in escaped individuals are found elsewhere, for example in Puerto Rico.
This is a monotypic species. which belongs to the Estrildidae. Its closest relative seems to be the Timor Sparrow. Some authorities1, 2 place this bird in genus Padda.
Open grassland low bushes and scrub. Often seen near towns.
Diet includes grain and other seeds.
The nest is built in a tree or building. The clutch consists of up to 8 eggs.
- Clements, JF. 2007. The Clements Checklist of Birds of the World. 6th ed., with updates to October 2007. Ithaca: Cornell Univ. Press. ISBN 978-0801445019
- The species account from Birdlife International with detailed information about status in the original distribution area
 External Links