||This article is incomplete.|
This article is missing one or more sections. You can help the BirdForum Opus by expanding it.
- Todiramphus tristrami
- Green or bluish crown
- Rufous spot in front of eye
- Darkish eyestripe extending as small line to neck
- Broad white neck collar
- Blue-green upperparts, wings and tail
- White to buff rufous underparts
- Black bill with horn-coloured base of lower mandible
The subspecies differ in colour and in extend of crown.
Islands off New Guinea, New Ireland, New Britain and Solomon Islands.
This species belongs to the Collared Kingfisher complex and was formerly considered conspecific with Collared Kingfisher, Mariana Kingfisher, Colonist Kingfisher, Pacific Kingfisher and Torresian Kingfisher.
Seven subspecies recognized:
- T. t. matthiae: St. Matthias Islands (Papua New Guinea)
- T. t. stresemanni: Witu, Umboi and adjacent islands in Dampier Straits
- T. t. nusae: New Ireland (except south-west), New Hanover and Feni Islands
- T. t. novaehiberniae: New Ireland (Bismarck Archipelago)
- T. t. bennetti: Nissan Island (eastern Papua New Guinea)
- T. t. tristrami: New Britain (Bismarck Archipelago)
- T. t. alberti: Buka, Bougainville and Solomon Islands (east to Guadalcanal)
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2015. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: v2015, with updates to August 2015. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Gill, F and D Donsker (Eds). 2015. IOC World Bird Names (version 5.4). Available at http://www.worldbirdnames.org/.
- Handbook of the Birds of the World Alive (retrieved October 2015)
 External Links