(Redirected from Menetries' Warbler
- Sylvia mystacea
12 to 14 cm
- Long blackish tail
- White outer tail feathers
- Heavy dark bill, pinkish patch at the base
- Pale bare eye ring
- Dark grey upperparts
- White underparts
- White submoustachial stripe
- Pink throat and breast
- Dark cap
- Grey nape
- Sandy grey-brown upperparts
- Buffish-white underparts
Asia, winters in Africa
Eastern Africa: Sudan, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Somalia
Middle East: Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Jordan, Arabian Peninsula, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Oman, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Bahrain, Kuwait, Iraq, Iran, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia
Asia: Russia, Northern Caucasus, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Afghanistan, Pakistan
There are 3 subspecies:
- Transcaucasia and north-eastern Turkey to lower Volga; winters to north-eastern Africa
Scrub, thickets, open woodland, desert and gardens.
Diet includes insects, invertebrates, berries, fruit and seeds.
It builds a cup-shaped nest of twigs, stems and grass leaves with feathers and hair, in low vegetation. The 4-5 brown-spotted white eggs are incubated by both parents for 11 to 13 days. The young birds fledge after 10 or 11 days.
- Clements, JF. 2009. The Clements Checklist of Birds of the World. 6th ed., with updates to December 2009. Ithaca: Cornell Univ. Press. ISBN 978-0801445019.
 External Links