||This article is incomplete.|
This article is missing one or more sections. You can help the BirdForum Opus by expanding it.
- Dicaeum hirundinaceum
- Blueish-black plumage
- Red chest
- Red undertail
- White belly with black centre stripe
- Dark grey upperparts
- Light grey belly
- Slight red tinge under the tail
Australia, Papua New Guinea, and eastern Indonesia.
There are 4 subspecies:
- Southern Wallacea (Watubela, Tayandu and Kai islands)
- Tanimbar Island (Yamdena, Larat and Lutu)
- Islands in Torres Strait and treed areas of mainland Australia
Trees and shrubs.
Diet includes the mistletoe berries, nectar, pollen, spiders, and insects.
Both adults build the nest* of crushed plants, palm threads and spider webs.
*Most on-line sources state that only the female builds the nest, but this picture shows a male collecting nesting material from a palm.
- Clements, JF. 2011. The Clements Checklist of Birds of the World. 6th ed., with updates to August 2011. Ithaca: Cornell Univ. Press. ISBN 978-0801445019. Spreadsheet available at http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/downloadable-clements-checklist
- Wild Walks
- BF Member observations
 External Links