- Calidris ruficollis
- Russet head and upper breast
- Rufous upperparts with black mottling
- Grey wing coverts
- Dark streaks on lower breast
- White belly
- Straight black bill
- White head with black streaks
- Grey upperparts mottle black
- White underparts
 Similar Species
Winter birds are very similar to Semipalmated Sandpiper and Little Stint.
Breeds in arctic northeast Siberia and Alaska.
It migrates through Siberia, Mongolia, China, Japan, and southeast Asia to Australia.
Vagrant to United States, mostly the north east, the west coast, and Alaska and the British Isles.
This is a monotypic species.
Breeds on tundra. During migration and in the winter feeds on bare sand or dry mud areas, tidal mudflats, lagoons, freshwater marshes, lakes and ricefields.
It nests on the ground.
The diet includes insects and other small invertebrates.
- Clements, JF. 2007. The Clements Checklist of Birds of the World. 6th ed. Ithaca: Cornell Univ. Press. ISBN 978-0801445019
- Collins Field Guide 5th Edition ISBN 0 00 219900 9
- Collins Bird Guide ISBN 0 00 219728
- What Bird
- BF Member observations
 External Links