Alternative names: Himalayan Barwing; Nepal Barwing; Spectacled Barwing (like Actinodura ramsayi!)
- Actinodura egertoni
21.5 - 23.5cm. A long-tailed, unstreaked barwing:
- Dark chestnut forehead, face and chin
- Grey ear-coverts
- Mostly pinkish bill
- Plain buffy-rufous below (without streaks)
- Wings barred like other barwings but with almost plain rufous-chestnut greater coverts and plain rufous-chestnut base of primaries
- Long, unbarred tail
Sexes similar. Juveniles are more uniform rufous overall and have a weaker dark barring on browner tertials.
Found from central Nepal east along the Himalayas to Bhutan, northeast India, Burma and adjacent south China (Yunnan).
Common in parts of its range.
Four subspecies accepted:
- A. e. egertoni from central Nepal to Bhutan and northeast India (Arunachal Pradesh)
- A. e. lewis in east Arunachal Pradesh and northwest Burma
- A. e. khasiana in Meghalaya, south Assam, Nagaland and Manipur (India)
- A. e. ripponi in Mizoram (India), Burma and south China
This species seems to be closely related to Spectacled Barwing.
Dense undergrowth in temperate forests and moist montanes. Found at 600 - 2400m.
Feeds on insects, takes also berries and seeds.
During breeding season seen in pairs, outside in small groups of 6 to 12 birds, sometimes more. Associates with bird waves. Foreages in middle storey of forest, sometimes in canopy.
Breeding season from April to July. The nest is a deep cup made of fern, bamboo, grasses and moss. It's placed in a bamboo clump, sapling or bush around 1 to 7.5m above the ground. Lays 2 - 4 eggs.
Resident species. Some altitudinal movement in hars winters possible.
- Clements, JF. 2008. The Clements Checklist of Birds of the World. 6th ed., with updates to December 2008. Ithaca: Cornell Univ. Press. ISBN 978-0801445019.
- Del Hoyo, J, A Elliott, and D Christie, eds. 2007. Handbook of the Birds of the World. Volume 12: Picathartes to Tits and Chickadees. Barcelona: Lynx Edicions. ISBN 978-8496553422
- Rasmussen, PC and JC Anderton. 2005. Birds of South Asia: The Ripley Guide. Barcelona: Lynx Edicions. ISBN 978-8487334672
 External Links