- Catharus ustulatus
- Brown upperparts (olive-brown on Eastern birds, reddish-brown on Western birds)
- White underparts
- Brown flanks
- Lighter brown breast with darker spots
- Pink legs
- Light brown eye ring
Breeds virtually throughout North America from Alaska to California. Wintering in the West Indies, and Central and South America from Mexico to Argentina.
Four subspecies are recognised:
- Southern Alaska and western Canada; winters to Gulf Coast of southern US
- C. u. swainsoni: (Olive-backed):
Coniferous and mixed woodland.
The diet includes insects, fruits and berries.
They build a cup nest on a horizontal tree branch.
- Clements, JF. 2011. The Clements Checklist of Birds of the World. 6th ed., with updates to August 2011. Ithaca: Cornell Univ. Press. ISBN 978-0801445019. Spreadsheet available at http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/downloadable-clements-checklist
- BF Member observations
 External Links