- Ardea alba
- Large white bird
- Slightly smaller and with a much slimmer build than Great Blue Heron or Grey Heron
- black legs/feet in American populations, but yellow in European birds of subspecies alba and greyish in non-breeding east Asian birds of subspecies modesta.
- bill yellow in most stages
- In short "high breeding" period bill becomes black (at least in Europe)
- lores yellow in most birds, but America birds show green lores in high breeding
- In breeding plumage shows ornamental plumes
Most of the year, distinguished from other egrets by combination of leg/foot and bill color.
A very widespread bird occurring in North and South America, Europe, Africa, Asia and Australasia.