• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bienvenue 'chez Nick' (2 Viewers)

nickderry

C'est pas ma faute, je suis anglais.
Ok, no big introductions, you know how it works, I stay up all night drinking various beverages and getting paint all over the walls, then I post the results here.

So Welcome! Here's the painting space, then we have the view from the window - already quite a selection of birds there and then the first piece to come from the new place - a nice self-found Smew. Not long after, I got to work on these displaying Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers.

Attachments

• paintings new apartment 014.jpg
    paintings new apartment 014.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 204
  • paintings new apartment 015.jpg
    paintings new apartment 015.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 178
  • spaintings new apartment 008.JPG
    spaintings new apartment 008.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 184
  • spaintings new apartment 012.JPG
    spaintings new apartment 012.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 167
  • spaintings new apartment 007.JPG
    spaintings new apartment 007.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 178
The main project for the year will be getting all the illustrations ready for a book about the wildlife in Besançon, after the past few months of not painting much, I'm going to have to work like the clappers to get it done (and not idle the afternoons away on Youtube or Facebook) Luckily, the apartment is well-situated to get some of this work done, the Long-tailed Tits, Green Woodpecker and Collared Doves were all sketched from the window. The Water Rails and Water Pipits were not - they were a day out in the big freeze.

Attachments

• spaintings new apartment 011.JPG
    spaintings new apartment 011.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 143
  • spaintings new apartment 010.JPG
    spaintings new apartment 010.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 168
  • spaintings new apartment 003.JPG
    spaintings new apartment 003.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 159
  • spaintings new apartment 009.JPG
    spaintings new apartment 009.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 162
  • spaintings new apartment 004.JPG
    spaintings new apartment 004.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 149
and some more from the book - the development of the 'waste'land around where I work is continuing at a very fast pace, so far the bushes where my red-backed shrikes bred last year are untouched, but as the adjacent scrub has been bulldozed, I doubt they're going to stick around for much longer. So the Shrike and Gatekeeper piece is a rather poignant piece of work for me. We also have a Kestrel from the same place, some Chamois (so strange to have these on the edge of the town) and a Common Gull which are really not at all common here.

Attachments

• spaintings new apartment 005.JPG
    spaintings new apartment 005.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 180
  • spaintings new apartment 002.JPG
    spaintings new apartment 002.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 165
  • spaintings new apartment 006.JPG
    spaintings new apartment 006.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 174
  • spaintings new apartment 013.JPG
    spaintings new apartment 013.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 146
Always glad to see your work Nick. Im new to all this art lark but love your previous thread although im only half the way through. Something in there what ever your taste in art is. Great new selection Im drawn to the Collard doves:t: Just one worrying thing Im sure thats the first time ive seen you art area without a bottle of ale on show.

Last edited:
Ahhh, yes, another brand-spanking new Nick thread to look forward to! In addition to your wonderful style, it's always great to see new (to me) species through your artistic eyes, and no exception here. I'll be following along. Good luck with the book!

Nick ..Very nice compositions...Very unsettling contrast ,in te shrike piece..I think we All are sensitive to the presence of All those elements combined in the same image..I liked it right away...The Water Rail in the snow brings me wonderful memories from the years that I lived in New Mexico, where I used to visit the rails daily, ....in Sunshine or in Shadow..Oh Danny Boy I loved them So!
ThanKs For Sharing and Welcomed back to the Forum

fantastic stuff Nick...amazes me how quick you can produce stuff....mark.

A great start to the new place Nick. And interesting to see your local photos as well. Based on the work you do and birds you see I always expect that you're living deep in the countryside far from anything urban. Then I'm occasionally reminded that you're not, as in tall buildings here, and of course earth-moving equipment. It makes the wild and natural aspect of your work all the more impressive.

Hard to choose favorites but I do love the pipit, shrike with bulldozer and chamois. And I'm quite happy to see this book becoming a reality!

Dreadful stuff, Nick ;). Really didn't like the LSW - far too evocative. And that Smew ... it's monochrome! As for the RB Shrike threatened by a digger .... far too upsetting. And the Green Woodpecker painting made me feel cold! Nah! Didn't like 'em at all. Can't understand why my words have come out so green though!

Having had to replace my old lappy with a shiny new thing, I thought I'd help my ageing old eyes out just a tad by getting a 17" one - just in time, it would seem!!! The thumbnails are special but when opened up the images simply jump to life. No favourite - or should I say 'all favourites'. This work should be seen in a book - on a laptop - worn on a tee-shirt and emblazened across billboards. Too good - just too good.
Nice hovel you have there, too :)

What a comeback Nick!
Every single picture is unique! Excellent series of paintings !
Good luck with the book and please let us know of it's progress...

Paschalis

A great start to the new place Nick. And interesting to see your local photos as well. Based on the work you do and birds you see I always expect that you're living deep in the countryside far from anything urban. ... And I'm quite happy to see this book becoming a reality!

Agree! I do often imagine you living in the woods - don't know why you would more than the rest of us!

I love the pipit walking on the "water" - the lift of his foot is an interesting action. I too am very excited about a book!

Is this the lastest comeback since Lazarus?
Each piece is brilliant and so unique! For me the stars are the Collared Doves ( I see this kind of courting behaviour very regularly where I live, but never seen any artist capture it), and the fly by Common Gull. Theseare one of my fave species and you've well and truly nailed it - with trees in the background!

Russ

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back