• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sans and Streiffe Binoculars ? (1 Viewer)

Penwolf

Do any of you know anything about the Sans and Streiffe Binoculars 8x30 10 degree? I think the model is Viking 889. I was told it has a 525' at 1000yds.
Are there any other S&S models you can tell me about?
Are they any good?
I did a search on this site and could find only one mention but in context of another bin.
Thanks,
Penwolf

My very limited knowledge of S&S binoculars is that they were Japanese built wide angle porros, very well regarded. The eye relief offered however was on the short side, at least for those wearing thick glasses.
The reference web site for me was Fan Tao's wonderful Binofan site, but it seems to have moved or he shut it down, to my dismay. More data can be gathered with effort from the Peter Abrahams site : http://www.europa.com/~telscope/binotele.htm check out the archives of an email list of the history and use of binoculars, about half way down the list of topics.

etudiant,
Thank you for the info. I appreciate it. Went to the reccomended site, found some info. Do you know of any reviews of S&S bins?
Penwolf

I have a pair of S & S 8x35 #810 hunter binoculars. The user material has an address of SANS & STREIFFE, INC 8400 BROOKFIELD AVE. BROOKFIELD, IL 60513. I know this was an old post, but you may still have an interest. I purchased them at a local auction for $20. 4 years ago.

Japanese built Porro, if you can find the J-B number between the objectives, that will tell you who built the optics.

I have a pair of S & S 8x35 #810 hunter binoculars. The user material has an address of SANS & STREIFFE, INC 8400 BROOKFIELD AVE. BROOKFIELD, IL 60513. I know this was an old post, but you may still have an interest. I purchased them at a local auction for $20. 4 years ago.

How would you rate the optics and the bino in general? Anything to compare it to?
thanx
tom

They were a premium binoc in their day...big eyeepieces, magnesium flouride coatings
throughout. Equilvalent price to about $300 today.
I have 5, including several 8x30 "Vikings", the 888 and 889. They don't get plundered
as much as famous brands at auctions. Outsides usually grubby but they clean
up well and the coating don't bat an eye at a cleaning.

Very sharp and bright, and they don't seem to pick up mold or haze...that I can see
on my glare/contrast test range. For quality of view they would fall between
the Nikon ProStaff and Monarch levels. Bear in mind, the ultra-wides don't
hold focus all the way across. I still love the big view for seeking..
Today's "ultra-wide" is not as wide an FOV because they get dinged hard for
defocused fringes, but the eye doesn't see as much precision off-center anyway.

A pair did lose collimation in shipping, though....either rough handling or the old
cement made the prisms more sensitive. A slight caution on that.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back