• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Colonel Boris' scruffy old sketchpad. (1 Viewer)

colonelboris

Right way up again
As ever, the time I get for sketching seems to be diminishing each year but every now and again I get a good reason to give it a go. I did a couple of drawings for friends recently, which I've not had the time to post until now.
I don't get much time to post on BF any more, either, but I still lurk the threads and it's great to see so many people in the art threads doing so well with exhibitions and the like as well as seeing lots of others improving over time.
More to come later...
Cheers,

Tony

Attachments

• common_greenshank_1_800.jpg
    common_greenshank_1_800.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 158
  • common_magpie_1_800.jpg
    common_magpie_1_800.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 170
I mentioned in the other thread that I was doing a few drawings for a magazine article. Of the four articles my friend Ed put forward to Australian Birdlife magazine, the one that was chosen was about birding and football, resulting in this odd beast...

Attachments

• obp_mc_800_b.jpg
    obp_mc_800_b.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 121
Thanks! First time I'd ever used any metallic pencils and even then only a tiny touch to help with the iridescence. Had to construct it from quite a range of source photos in order to capture all the features I wanted and to also avoid any copyright issues.

Thanks!

Another two drawings for another two prosepctive articles - both from a recent trip Ed and myself made to FNQ.

Attachments

• spinifex_pigeon_1_800.jpg
    spinifex_pigeon_1_800.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 104
  • spinifex_pigeon_1_800_censored.jpg
    spinifex_pigeon_1_800_censored.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 81
  • golden_bowerbird_2c_800.jpg
    golden_bowerbird_2c_800.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 88
That Magpie is fantastic :t: The parroty thing with a dodgy T Shirt on needs more work perhaps red & white stripes could inmprove it. not a bad effort it could of been worse wearing red:-O

That Magpie is fantastic :t: The parroty thing with a dodgy T Shirt on needs more work perhaps red & white stripes could inmprove it. not a bad effort it could of been worse wearing red:-O

I personally would have preferred a red shirt with a big losing streak up the back, but Ed's bird and Ed's team, sadly...

I particularly like that first shorebird.

Thanks very much! One of my holiday snaps, that was: http://www.tonykeenebirds.co.uk/abirds/commongreenshank.html
For some reason, the shape and angle of the body remind me of the body of the martian fighting machines from the recent War of the Worlds remake...

Cheers, Tim. It's the largest drawing I've done - I normally draw fairly small so that I get a chance to finish it off, but in this case, it deserved a larger drawing, so from beak to tail it was ~25 cm.

Well, the magazine article is now out and they printed the Footballing Parrot quite large, which was a nice bonus. Looks like there's a reasonable chance that the magazine might be asking us for a regular slot - very happy as it gives me deadlines to work to and ensures I keep drawing.
I've currently got a commission for a friend to draw three sets of fairywrens, so here's the first.
Cheers,

Tony

Attachments

• superb_fairywren_1_800.jpg
    superb_fairywren_1_800.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 127
Thanks for the comments!
Here's the second one: Lovely Fairy-wrens (the names are just great for these birds)

Attachments

• lovely_fairywren_1_800.jpg
    lovely_fairywren_1_800.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 103
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back