• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds in Stockholm archipelago (1 Viewer)

I have been walking in some of the islands in the Stockholm archipelago and have come across two birds I can't identify.
The first taken on the the island of Utö (just one picture) looks a bit like a shrike but our field guide doesn't agree! It had been raining hence its rather drab look. We also suspect its from this year's breeding.
The second bird (two pictures) was seen on the mainland at the southern end of the archipelago, at the beach called Kalvik beach 30 minutes drive from Trosa. The bird was on the sea and was constantly diving then reappearing at around the same spot. It looks a bit like a guillemot but I'm pretty certain it isn't. Sorry for the poor pictures but it was at the full extend of my 300mm lens - and it kept disappearing between the waves!
Any thoughts gratefully received!
Many thanks
GreyNomad

Attachments

• IMG_3201.jpg
    IMG_3201.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_2743.jpg
    IMG_2743.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_2749.jpg
    IMG_2749.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 89
Hi Grey Nomad - I've moved your thread into the ID section.

I think your birds are 1) Red-backed Shrike and 2&3) Black-throated Diver.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back