• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

One Definition for DIGISCOPING please. (1 Viewer)

Texun

I am of the thought that Digiscoping is the coupling of a digital camera to the eyepiece of a telescope. Many on this forum seem to be confusing "prime focus photography", which is using a digital or film camera coupled to the objective lens of a telescope, with "digiscoping". Why not have a forum for prime focus photography? That way, we true digiscopers will not have to figure out which form of photography someone is discussing.

Personally I think digiscoping is an evolving thing. Any method that takes a scope/spotting scope way beyond it's native magnification is digiscoping in my book. Your comment on being a "true digiscoper" nearly made me wet myself. The thread titles clearly explain what they are about so don't read it if you don't like it. My own thread covers all methods using a telescope, not just prime focus and I'm sure there's plenty of people interested in all ways of increasing magnification. :-O

Paul.

Last edited:
I guess that I define the term 'digiscoping' in a rather general/loose way. To me, any digital camera connected to a 'scope' (either to the objective or the eyepiece), whether it be telescope, spotting scope, fieldscope, zoom scope, or even microscope is 'digiscoping.' I fully realize that some 'purists' might view this as far from being 'technically correct' or 'proper,' but I'm not really too concerned...because, looking at the semantics, it is not exactly 'technically incorrect.' Best Wishes.

Respectfully,

Ron Davidson

I guess that I define the term 'digiscoping' in a rather general/loose way. To me, any digital camera connected to a 'scope' (either to the objective or the eyepiece), whether it be telescope, spotting scope, fieldscope, zoom scope, or even microscope is 'digiscoping.' I fully realize that some 'purists' might view this as far from being 'technically correct' or 'proper,' but I'm not really too concerned...because, looking at the semantics, it is not exactly 'technically incorrect.' Best Wishes.

Respectfully,

Ron Davidson

Hi all -

On the digiscopingbirds@Yahoogroups list, the commonly agreed-upon definition of digiscoping includes these components -

1) Digital camera with lens attached (could be interchangeable or permanently-mounted)
2) Spotting scope viewing eyepiece
3) Spotting scope body

That's it - mounting adapters are optional.

Variants on the subject of spotting scopes and cameras include -
a) Scope body only + camera body only = true Prime-Focus Photography
b) Scope body + designed camera adapter with internal optics + camera body = Photo Scoping (of the many names for this setup, I like this one)
c) Scope body + viewing eyepiece + camera body (with no lens) = Eyepiece Projection Photography

They all work, and each has its strong points and weak points. It is up to the user to decide what they can afford / might work best for their intended subject / distance / lighting conditions.

Clay Taylor
Moodus, CT
[email protected]

Does Digiscoping include Digibinning or cameraphonescoping, does anyone do cameraphonebinning? For me Digiscoping includes all the techniques which aren't DSLR with extra lenses designed for the job.

Mick

Mick, we Texans have a saying that would be a proper response to what you have added to this thread--------------------

Humm...

DIGI - SCOPING. The word refers to a digital camera attached to a telescope. Nothing more ! Is a P&S a digital camera ? Is a DSLR a digital camera ? Yes on both counts. Should the camera have a lens attached ? IMO it doesn't matter. Should the scope have an eyepiece attached ? IMO not mandatory.

Clay uses the term "Scope body only + camera body only = true Prime-Focus Photography" Well, doesn't a DSLR with a full auto camera lens qualify as true Prime-Focus Photography ?

IMO, digiscoping is a generic word. Nothing more.

I'm smiling reading all these definitions of 'Digiscoping' especially Mick's. I suppose that's because I am the mother of a son who also is a 'Ubuntu Linux user'...it's the way they think! :)

OK...now that I am getting a 'picture' of what 'digiscoping' is all about, can anyone point me in the right direction in order that I might further my knowledge with the view to buying a DSLR camera with telescopic lens kit suitable for an absolute beginner?

Last edited:
I'm smiling reading all these definitions of 'Digiscoping' especially Mick's. I suppose that's because I am the mother of a son who also is a 'Ubuntu Linux user'...it's the way they think! :)

OK...now that I am getting a 'picture' of what 'digiscoping' is all about, can anyone point me in the right direction in order that I might further my knowledge with the view to buying a DSLR camera with telescopic lens kit suitable for an absolute beginner?

Do you mean a camera plus a ZOOM lens :t:

Morgenwena,

If you are an absolute beginner, I don't sugget the digiscoping route for now. Too specialized for my taste. Instead, I would buy an entry level DSLR and a modestly priced zoom lens. Amongst others, a Canon 450D and a 100-400mm lens would be a good beginner's choice. I would buy the DSLR with the 18-55mm kit lens so that you also have an everyday lens. That should keep you busy for a while.

Morgenwena,

If you are an absolute beginner, I don't sugget the digiscoping route for now. Too specialized for my taste. Instead, I would buy an entry level DSLR and a modestly priced zoom lens. Amongst others, a Canon 450D and a 100-400mm lens would be a good beginner's choice. I would buy the DSLR with the 18-55mm kit lens so that you also have an everyday lens. That should keep you busy for a while.

Thanks for this...I'll go check it out. :t:

Mick, we Texans have a saying that would be a proper response to what you have added to this thread--------------------

I wasn't aware of any mobile telephony machines with film camera aparatus built into their structure, so yes in my humble opinion mobile phone digital cameras can be included within your oh-so-noble art form of 'digiscoping', when aligned with suitable optical viewing devices ..... (As Mr Burns might say . . . ;) )

Since my current mobile phone is more user friendly and takes almost comparable pics to the old standard Nikon Coolpix 4500 did (Mine's now lost the ability to zoom in, hence not very good at all now. . . ), I think that if I want to use a mobile phone to take pics (ok images then) with my scope rather than some poncey and expensive get up (presumably such as you yourself use) then all well and good. :t:

(In the spirit of the thread, go put that in your memory stick and smoke it. :smoke: )

Mick, yep I do both, I think I've even posted a few pics around somewhere... ;) maybe there's even a phonebinning thread somewhere . . . :eek!:

EDIT: I've looked and I don't think there is one. Time to start one up?? ;) ;)

Last edited:
I took a picture of a Great Northern Diver with my mobile phone. Mind you it turned out crap, but hey, never mind I tried.

I must admit Im a biginner in phohtgraphy but I also have a scope we got a canon eos 400d
got a mount kit for the scope and canon (which I had to modifi) and took the lens of my dslr and sterted taking pictures so digital camera + scope by its own definition should shurly be didgi (from the digital imaging device) scope (from the scope you use) hence digi scoping simple now Ill go reed some more words I dont under stand so I can impress you all (not) lol

Aint didgiscoping just taking digital photos through a scope. I can see no reason to anally sub divide and sub divide. Or push other methods aside because they dont meet some strict critieria. Surely the whole hobby is in a continuing state of evolution as the tecnology develops. Mayby the elietist attitudes and insults should be left at home and we all should enjoy and celebrate our digiscoping in all its diverse forms.

Morgenwena,
I would buy the DSLR with the 18-55mm kit lens so that you also have an everyday lens. That should keep you busy for a while.

I have a Nikon D40 with that lens and that is what I Digiscope with, works quite well just hand held, good enough for record shots anyway.
Used to use a Canon A610 for Digiscoping and Digibinning, scoping was OK but binning was tricky keeping them lined up, never had any luck with camera phone though.

Mick

And with all that in mind there's no one actually posting any true prime focus pictures so no reason For Texun to have started this thread in the first place.

Paul.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back