• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Organizing with Elements (1 Viewer)

DDolan1075

I have Photoshop Elements 7.0 and have gotten behind in my filing system. I file by species based on my Eastern Sibley's page numbers. So Northern Parula would be 3 33 Northern Parula as the folder heading with that folder within 3 28 Wood Warblers as the folder for all of the warblers. 333 is the page number that I find the Northern Parula and 328 is the page number for the beginning of the Wood Warblers in Sibleys book.

Anyways, as I was saying before getting sidetracked, I am way behind in my filing. I have 34 downloads since the beginning of the year with over 17,000 pictures that I need to go through and either file or delete. That in and of itself is a bit of a problem, but not unmanageable. The problem is that every time you want to move a file in Elements it has to go through some thinking and resetting and what happens is that after I move a file, I wait about 10 seconds or more and then get sent to the top of the file again. To top that off, there are so many pictures that I can't see the contents of the file on the thumbnail, but instead only see an hourglass.

What I want to do is go through these files without having to deal with Elements and move them all to the folders that they will end up in and then let Elements become reacquainted with them again as new pictures. Can I delete all of those pictures from the (I can't remember if it is Album or Catalog) and then work on everything and then reacquire them when they are filed?

Do you follow me on that? Basically I want to use my Nikon Program to look at and move the files and then go back to Elements and have the target folders be "Watched Folders" so that the files will automatically be found.

My next step is to move everything onto my external hard drive but keep a copy of the good ones on my computer too. Ideally, I want to get the Gold Edition of Thayers and put my pictures on that which will include views from all sides of the birds and also better calls and songs from other sources. That is the plan, but I am a big thinker and may not go all the way through with that.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back