• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sticky bodies of 820 series (1 Viewer)

yves0071

France
Hi,
All of us experience the sticky bodies of the Kowa from series 820's .
Even if it does not affect the optical performances and also because the scope can stay in the SOC, Nevertheless, it is not ideal.
I found a spray paint which reproduce rubber armour (3 passes of paint) . Here is some pics.
Unfortunetlly, it was not possible to reprint the PROMINAR & KOWA printing on it!
I am very happy with the result (colour is just a bit darker!)
Regards
Yves

Attachments

• P1110629.JPG
    P1110629.JPG
    976.3 KB · Views: 364
  • P1110676.JPG
    P1110676.JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 407
Last edited:
Hi,
Just more information to add following question through PM:
I removed the remaining sticky green rubber with a solvant (not remember which, and finish with water and soap with green sponge.

I used this paint: http://whynotdip.com/plasti-dip-kaki-11217

I used a Paint-tape to protect the parts I do not want to paint (ie button, rings, ...)
If some of you want to try, it is relativelly easy! but you need to take care when removing protective tape: The paint is much more resistant to breakage than to peel! This means that if you try to remove the tape, without separating paint and tape before, you will peel off the paint :(
So you nee to use a cutter to cut/separe the paint and the tape at its limits. And then, remove the tape smoothly!

Please ask if you have any more question.

Yves

Last edited:
Sticky body on 820 series

I'm Jim, a new member. Concerning the 820 series problem with sticky bodies, I called Kowa office in California and they said they would take care of it. They gave me a return authorization number and said it might take 3-4 months since it had to go to Japan. I waited quite a while since I needed the scope during the summer, but then packaged it up and shipped it of. It came back in 3 weeks, looking like new with fresh green paint! Same serial number so I know its the same scope. They cleaned all of the optics and resealed with new nitrogen. I've had the scope for years and the clarity is improved. My only cost was about $25 for shipping to California.

Thanks for this report!
You were Lucky!
I do not know why Kowa does not deliver the same service all around the globe!
Best regards
Yves

The 820M-series scopes don't seem to suffer with the same sticky-body syndrome. At least mine hasn't so far, touch wood!

Hi,
The sticky surface appears at least 10-15 years after purchase, independently if they have been used or not, covered in a SOC or not :( . I do not know if Kowa technology for M series changed from the previous ones!
Best regards
Yves

Users who are viewing this thread

Back