• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax pf65ed- couple of eyepiece questions... (1 Viewer)

westNE

I can't seem to find any reviews of the Celestron Regal M2 eyepiece out there, especially in relation to this Pentax. Mainly because my search just shows results for the complete scope.

Also, in my search for a good zoom eyepiece, that isn't the soda can sized SMC, I see the William Optics 7.5-22.5 come up regularly though now discontinued. Is this unit from Opticstar the same as the WO?
http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astronomy/Astro-Accessories-Telescopes-Opticstar.asp?p=0_10_5_1_8_331

This unit also attracts my attention due to the compact size and light weight, any feedback on this 7.5-21.5?
http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astronomy/Astro-Accessories-Telescopes-Opticstar.asp?p=0_10_5_1_8_331

Thanks,
Nick

The Regal M2 comes to focus (in the angled version at least) and the quality is decent enough although astro use shows up some weaknesses if I remember correctly.

Of the Opticstar zooms the larger is likely the same as the WO so anything you read about one probably applies to the other, although it is possible the two brands ordered a slightly different specification from the manufacturer.

The smaller Opticstar might be the same as one sold under Skywatcher and Lunt branding.

However, all of these zooms will have 40°-60° fields which I find a bit restrictive at the lower end. If I take the scope out with only one eyepiece it is always the 14mm Pentax XW.

The Celestron Regal zoom is not bad at all optically,and the FOV seemed not as restrictive as your typical 8-24..perhaps a couple degrees more in the low power end,at least that was my impression..However ,my unit broke quite fast and would not zoom past 16mm..later on it broke completely and was frozen in one position,but i havent heard any other comments on faulty units...My unit was second or third hand ,so i cannot be sure if this was due to abuse or negligence..
In anycase the New Baader zoom mark IV would be my reccomendation,with its redisegned sleeker barrel and mount specially designed to reach focus in MOST spotters..
If this promise applies to the little pentax and focus is attained ( still no reviews about it),The zoom is a great performer ,with excellent optics and great views in most its range,offering wide field of view through its range (optical review based in model mark III)

First off all, the more time I spend with this scope the more I like it. Perhaps is a certain charm with the fact this is 20 year scope that didn't cost a fortune when new, let alone now, but the view through the XW10 wonderful!

I ordered a second hand Orion 7.2-21.5 zoom, it was less than $100 in like new condition so I figured I couldn't go wrong, I hope it works with the scope and focuses at all distances...
Thanks for the help!
Nick

The pentax 65ED is a charming little scope for sure..Very compact and robust,is a handy one..the orion is pushing slightly the magnification over your average 8-24 zoom (the televue /meade was popular with pentax users),giving you an interesting range ,17x51x more or less..That is a good push past the XW10 36X,Lets see how it holds!
Roll!

... In anycase the New Baader zoom mark IV would be my reccomendation,with its redisegned sleeker barrel and mount specially designed to reach focus in MOST spotters..
If this promise applies to the little pentax and focus is attained ( still no reviews about it),The zoom is a great performer ,with excellent optics and great views in most its range,offering wide field of view through its range (optical review based in model mark III)

Hi,

Do you thing that the Mark IV zoom is as good as their Hyperion fixed EP? I received my Celestron Regal M2 80ED yesterday, and I'm looking to add another EP in my (short) collection |:D|

Thanks !

Chris

The Orion came in today and I got it on for a quick look. First of all the compact size and light weight of the eyepiece allow for great balance when compared to the XW. The finish is gloss, that along with the light weight do lead to a rather cheap appearance and feel. Though moving through the power range is very smooth in both directions once mounted.

My immediate thought when I first looked through the scope was wow, that's not as poor as it's supposed to look... I've done a lot of reading on this scope with different eyepieces, some sources out there make this scope with an XW far superior to any alpha and the only zoom that you can even see through is an SMC or Hyperion. While I'm exaggerating slightly this little Orion really surprises me, clarity seems to match the XW, it is of course darker but very useable during late evening hours under even the overcast sky we had tonight.

Obviously the biggest change in view was the more limited FOV. This the case it was very useable and didn't feel restrictive in the slightest. This may be due to my background, I've always used spotters in a hunting capacity and every one I've ever owned has had a zoom. To be honest I almost find the view more comfortable, viewing through the XW was wonderful but the wide view almost induced a type of sensory overload. I would find myself unable to focus on any one thing as my eyes seemed to dart all over the image. Not sure if this makes sense but I plan to keep the Orion and sell the XW, it just suits my needs better.

Hopefully I can spend more time with it this weekend for a better evaluation. I might actually be able to avoid tinkering with this setup, though I am very curious how the Vixen LV, Regal M2, or Baader would compare.
Nick

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back