• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do Goldfinches really like Sunflower seed? (1 Viewer)

Dan123

Hi guys. I was wandering do Goldfinches like black sunflower seed as well as the hearts? The Sunflower hearts are making a bit too much of a mess and are quite expensive so wanted to go with seeds but unsure if Goldfinches can eat them and break into the shells. Does anyone know at all?

Hi.
Bit confused as sunflower hearts reduce mess. There are no husks left on so the birds don't have to break them and leave them all over the floor.
They must eat them as they eat directly of sunflower heads in the wild- and the husks are left on then!

I agree sunflower hearts are expensive but I find they are worth it because a wider variety of birds eat them (as some can't crack in to the shells)

I even had a Goldcrest eating them today :)

Hi there

The hearts do get eaten, but the finches still strip them the same way they do the husked seeds. Very small pieces dont get eaten, or there is almost like a skin or very thin layer of the hearts left which birds dont touch. We also have the feeders over bark chippings and with the cold, everything is starting to stirck to the bark on the ground. I didnt want any risk of disease you see.

Yes, goldfinches will eat black sunflower seeds, but they leave the husks which make more mess than just the hearts. I switched from seed to hearts and its much better, other birds will eat the spillage, especially if you are not too hasty refilling the feeder. The husks from the seeds will just stay there until you clean up the festering mess!

Only argument in favour of seeds is the cost but you will need to sweep up regularly but in the process waste the bits of hearts which still get scattered!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back