• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

yellowlegs id help? Pescadero marsh, California (1 Viewer)

djleahy

I had a fine trip to the ocean beach today, photographing many familiar birds in breeding plumage for the first time. In the lagoon at Pescadero, I got these photos of yellowlegs. The beak length and shape seems good for greater, but this always seems a bit iffy to me. However the extensive barring on the flanks seems like a solid greater yellowlegs field mark. Am I getting this right?

I never have seen a yellowlegs here in northern California that I could convince myself was a lesser yellowlegs, are they that much harder to find?

Attachments

• IMG_3862.jpg
    IMG_3862.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3864.jpg
    IMG_3864.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 79
  • pescadero_beach_2007-05-06.jpg
    pescadero_beach_2007-05-06.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 88
A fine set of images - showing classic Greater Yellowlegs and as mentioned by David - heavy flank barring and longer than head - slightly upturned bill - quite obvious in these great images!

JanJ

Thanks guys. I will continue to keep my eyes open for the elusive Lesser. Perhaps the fall migration is the best shot for Lesser around here.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back