• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding around Stockholm (1 Viewer)

pinkpigeon

Im off for a weekend break in Stockholm with Ryan Air (flights just £6!!) in mid March. i was wondering if anyone could tell me if, and where, there are any spots within day tripping distance from Stockholm?

I would also love to see all those owls and if anyone knows any sites near Stockholm that would grand.

Many Thanks

Ben

They have a pretty good subway system. Not sure what parks that would get you to. The whole city is by the sea, so some places near the shore should be accessible.

I have not been there for 20 years. Looked this up:
Stockholm's Ekoparken is the world's first national city park, a huge set of green lungs which stretch out in a 12km arch from Ulriksdals Slott in the north to the archipelago islands of Fjaderholmarna in the south.

This greenland is so large that you need a full day of serious hiking to explore it, by foot during the warmer months or on skis or long-distance skates in winter.

The inexpensive Brunnsviken Runt boat trip is an excellent way to tour the Ekopark including three royal parks, Djurgarden, Haga and Ulriksdal, and the palaces of Ulriksdals Slott, Gustav III's Paviljong, Haga and Rosendals Slott.

from
http://www.vvtel.com/vvtravels/sweden-sw/007_guides/02_cities/stockholm/travel-parks.html

One thing to watch out for: Ryan Air doesn't fly to Stockholm, it flies to some little regional airport about 50 miles from Stockholm - from what I've heard, public transport from the airport to Stockholm centre usually costs quite a lot more than the flight itself.

I've also read (somewhere, I forget where unfortunately) that there is some very good birding to be had fairly close to the airport used; not sure how you'd get to it from the airport though.

Otherwise, there might be more info available at these sites

Sveriges Ornitologiska Förening
http://www.sofnet.org/

Svalan
http://svalan.environ.se/rappsyst/swedish_daily.asp

Michael

Just looked at Ryanair's destinations list - they go to two airports in the Stockholm area:
Stockholm Västerås VST
Stockholm S. Skavsta NYO
Which one does yours go to?

Västerås is about 50-60 miles west of Stockholm, I can't find the other one on my maps. Arlanda is about 20 miles north of the centre, so a lot closer.

Michael

My flight goes to Vasteras, hadnt realise it was quite so far out of town, but guess I'll get to see some nice countryside.

Thanks for help so far

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back