• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Firefox (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
After yet another, unneccessary redesign of the browser page, I can't locate the refresh page icon, anyone help?

I know about F5 but this is bugging me!

A

Hi Andy

You could try searching Tools for a "Theme"... there's one there called "Classic Theme Restorer...." I haven't studied it, but if you don't like it you can always undelete it.

I much prefer to use Pale Moon (a FF sister site) now as my main browser, it looks and behaves very much like Firefox used to be.... ie opens in the morning as you left it last night!

If you're not keen on their default look, you can use an Add-on http://addons.palemoon.org/themes/ they've loads of different ones you could try.

I have FF as a back up browser, as one of the websites I use, doesn't always work properly on PM.

Don't like the new FF update at all, the square tabs look awful. In fact I thought I'd loaded IE by mistake.

In a similar vein to the OP I couldn't find the home icon at first (also on left now, next to refresh).

I agree very much with kb57. The squared-off "sharp" tab edges look very unpleasant. And I was at a loss where to find Refresh at first.

Admittedly Fx is a lot faster, as they claim, in fact mine goes like a rocket.

But the most annoying thing, personally, is the possible abandonment of certain "legacy" extensions in Add-ons. I'm used to having some protection from malicious scripts via NoScript, though the guy who created it promises a new version "soon, perhaps by the end of the day", but he's been saying that every day.

Being the acquisitive type, I also have a lot of web pages downloaded via UnMHT, as single files with the .mht extension, and it seems likely it won't be updated. Now I can't read any of those saved pages, so having UnMHT turns out to have been necessary. The .mht extension is Microsoft's, so it ought to be easy enough to access the pages, but no luck so far. Fx is supposed to do it, but doesn't. Will have to look through this list and find something.

Finally, there was machine-resident Video DownloadHelper which I used a lot, but wants money now. Fair enough, the developer could reasonably expect to be rewarded for their efforts, but I just don't fancy parting with money online when I know nothing about the vendor's trustworthiness or security precautions.

There's still 4k Video Downloader for YT vids, but it doesn't work on other sites, and there are signs it won't stay free.

Very extensive and "self-entitled" grumble over! I suppose it'll all work out in the end. Birders have to be perpetual optimists...

Last edited:
We had to give up with FF as Facebook wouldn't work with it, kept freezing! All other sites seemed ok.

Unfortunately, the classic look theme I found was not compatible with the latest update. I assume that is a question of time.

Firefox is still able to start with all the tabs you browsed last time, it is a question of preferences set.

Niels

Unfortunately, the classic look theme I found was not compatible with the latest update. I assume that is a question of time.

Firefox is still able to start with all the tabs you browsed last time, it is a question of preferences set.

Niels

Well I've done another search Niels and cannot find any option to restart with tabs from last time. I have to go into History and select Restore Previous Session!

It's not a big deal for me really as I use Pale Moon as the main browser, but wouldn't encourage me to go to FF as the main one.

In the new FF, at the very far right of the address line, there is a three-line symbol which is menu. Inside that, there is something called options. On my PC it opens up in general, and the second item down is what it should open up into: third one down is "Show your windows and tabs from last time"

That does not mean I like the looks of the current layout.

Niels

Aaaaah!!!! It's not there on mine though Niels, it's in a cog-wheel symbol.

I had it set for Open with Home Page.

I'm using version 52.5.0. Not sure if that's the latest or not. But not too sure I want the latest version by the sounds of it LOL

57.0 installed itself today. And no, I do not find it really pleasing to look at. They do claim to be faster, though.

Niels

Aaaaah!!!! It's not there on mine though Niels, it's in a cog-wheel symbol.

I had it set for Open with Home Page.

I'm using version 52.5.0. Not sure if that's the latest or not. But not too sure I want the latest version by the sounds of it LOL

Firefox will only restore your tabs if they're 'pinned' no?

I hate the new look too, looks cheap and somewhat dated.

Re Skype, we have no issues in Firefox but we've been habitual users of Gmail for years however, Gmail has not worked in Firefox for quite a while as support for Gmail in this browser, ceased a couple of years ago and the camera function stopped working.

A

Last edited:
.... not sure about v57 Andy, all the tabs, pinned and unpinned opens now I've changed the settings. I didn't have any pinned tabs before, as FF isn't my main browser.

Try using Thunderbird for your emails. Another in the Mozilla family. You can read and save all your emails there, however many email accounts you have. It's a 'tabbed' browser and you can have Add-ons too.

Reminderfox is my favourite (a pop-up (by-the-minute if you want) reminder programme).

If you've set your preferences the way Niels has described it will open with all your tabs and windows from last time, not just pinned ones. Like John, I'm waiting for NoScript to be available for Firefox 57, but I must say I like the speed - it's noticeably faster than before. I haven't been using many add-ons, and that's certainly a bonus now.

Delia: You may want to tell people when recommending it that PaleMoon is not available for Mac OSs, just Linux and Windows (I looked into it yesterday because I wasn't sure I wanted to use Firefox until NoScript is available). And thanks for all your kinds comments about my photos! I hadn't realized that my last three trips had no photos in the gallery (just pics in my trip reports), so there will be quite a few more to come.

Andrea

Oh Andrea, sorry, I hadn't realised you couldn't use PM on a Mac and don't know anything about Linux LOL; I am a bit technologically challenged).

You've taken some really great pictures, so my comments are well deserved. And I love looking at pictures of species from far-flung places - don't think there's any hope of me seeing them in the 'feather' now;) Didn't even make my planned trip to Norway this year sadly! Though hoping to try again next!

My work around in place of NoScript calls for 3 add-ons:

Disable HTML5 Autoplay
Policy Control - JavaScript and Flash blocker
Behind The Overlay Revival

I think you can make due with just Policy Control but I tend to use it for selective sites.

What I miss is Image Block, which lets you select an individual image. So far, all the add-ons I found apply to whole pages not single images.

Firefox 57 surprised me unpleasantly too. I am so used to Firefox + Tab Mix Plus plugin, 50+ tabs is normal for me.
Plugin developers will inevitably catch up. My solution was to wait it out and revert back to 56 :)

One feature of Firefox Quantum or 57 or whatever, is that it no longer allows me to get into the supermarket website, where I order food and all essentials. Apparently "a web page is slowing down your browser". The options are to choose "Wait" or "Stop it". The first doesn't work however long you wait, and stopping just exits Fx. I need to get stuff by online order for delivery to my flat, cos I'm now disabled and housebound (profile explains). Thankfully I got in with IE today, but have had past issues with ordering with IE and am not entirely optimistic. Though FX does allow me into BF at least.

I don't want to risk screwing things up further by getting another browser right now. My brother can help with getting things for me, but he's 2,000 miles away or more on a cruise off the E coast of USA. With shore visits for birding, lucky sod! But he deserves this holiday.

I used to go and fix my friends' machines in the days of XP, never had a failure in a couple of dozen unpaid callouts. But this stuff these days is beyond me now.

Well, thanks for listening! Too much information already. But for me, Firefox has screwed up big time. BTW, the unsmiling "smiley" has somehow wound up at the top of my comment instead of the end :(

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back