• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Exposure Chip (1 Viewer)

Musoman

PETE - Nikon/Sony Shooter
United Kingdom
I've just found this Macro Extension set with chips ( never used ) in my photogrpahic draw, and wondered if mounting a TN in the very smallest tube ( the 12mm ) would give me some exposure metering and / or focus confirm ?

Cheers!

Attachments

• _DSC5508.jpg
    _DSC5508.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
I don't think they have chips. IMO they are just contacts to allow auto exposure and focus. I tried to mount a TN inside a similar M43 extension and there is not enough space (diameter). I have 3 TNs and none would fit.

Ok Jules - thanks. Maybe i should think about the next size up in that 3 tube Macro set

Exposure & metering is good enough, though i think i already have it, because i have already taken a shot without the macro tube contacts and got a fairly decent exposure
and also focus confirm, so perhaps i dont even need those contacts.

The macro tube will just be quite useful for mounting a TN, but they all have contacts on

Last edited:
Ok Jules - thanks. Maybe i should think about the next size up in that 3 tube Macro set

Exposure & metering is good enough, though i think i already have it, because i have already taken a shot without the macro tube contacts and got a fairly decent exposure
and also focus confirm, so perhaps i dont even need those contacts.

The macro tube will just be quite useful for mounting a TN, but they all have contacts on

You are lucky to get focus confirm. I don't get that with my EM-1 and SW80ED. Exposure works fine though.

I believe that there are still focus confirm chips available for Nikon and Canon. Since you already have focus confirm, they would be used only to identify the scope in the EXIF. Not worth it IMO.

Yes, as you say , not really needed.

It just so happens that my macro tubes have the contacts, and its one of those that i want to fit a TN inside

Yes, as you say , not really needed.

It just so happens that my macro tubes have the contacts, and its one of those that i want to fit a TN inside

Good for you if the TN fits. If it doesn't, you can get real cheap manual extenders without the contacts on eBay. The hole is much larger.

Yes i've seen those Jules, and used them on previous scopes for extension, but they're the threaded type. I know Paul used to use them and maybe still does, but i much prefer the bayonet mount extension tubes

Yes i've seen those Jules, and used them on previous scopes for extension, but they're the threaded type. I know Paul used to use them and maybe still does, but i much prefer the bayonet mount extension tubes

Managed to get a set of 3 nice bayonet ones for my Nikon. I have a set of the threaded ones too but you never know if you will get a tight fitting with that sort, they can tend to have a bit of play in them. I also use an empty Vivitar macro focusing TC that I removed the TC from. That gives me a nice helical focuser with around 30mm of travel.

Paul.

The helical TC sounds like a great idea. I might have to have a hunt for one in the future

Look for the Vivitar or the Teleplus ones. One is a rebranded version of the other. With that type, the front of the teleconverter extends out as you turn the rubber grip. As a 2x teleconverter they are pretty sharp too so the housing that holds the elements is worth keeping. I have two in Nikon mount, one I kept the glass in and the other I removed it, paid around £15 to £30 but they can go for much higher, seen them at £100 for example. There other types of helical macro focusing teleconverters (Elicar Macronet and Panagor) where all the movement is internal and so these don't work as a helical focuser as nothing actually extends.

Paul.

Noted Paul - thanks for ther advice. I shall be keeping an eye on a VIV or a TP version.

These could well be much better in operation than my current aluminium tubing i posted about. The trouble with the tubing is that you have to release the 3 thumb screws first, move the whole camera and extension tube to the best position, tighten 3 screws again or the camera flops downwards due to weight, so ..very slow to operate

On top of that, pushing in or pulling out the camera and fixed tube is jerky to say the least. I dont really like it at all, so maybe this helical 2x would be the answer.

I think you said that on top of the scopes own focus in / out adjustment, you get about another 30mm of extension ?

Its quite a neat idea, so even though its only 18mm travel , i'll keep an eye out for a Nikon mount version

Ebay seems to have every mount under the sun for those viv's and tp's but not for nikon. Weird!

That's ebay though, some weeks none and other weeks maybe a few. The other mounts like Pentax and Olympus are much more common. Last year I got two in Nikon mount, one for a bargain £12 and the other one was nearly £32. Just a case of waiting for that one seller who doesn't really know what they have and get it for peanuts.

Paul.

Compared a couple of TC's with the Sunagor 100-200mm TN yesterday. Used my big Vivitar TC for Pentax 6x7 medium format which I really like and it gives the least amount of mag out of the 3. There's a thread on that medium format TC here http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=302899 Second photo is Sunagor and last photo is the Vivitar macro focusing TC. Macro TC is 7 elements and the Vivitar medium format is 6 element and both give slightly more depth of focus than the TN I noticed. The medium format one is available as a Teleplus just as the macro focusing ones are. Rokunar also had one the same copy as Vivitar/Teleplus 6x7. Komura made a similar one too.

As well as Pentax 6x7 there was Mamiya 645 medium format and Hasselblad of course. All these TC's crop up in those mounts too.

Paul.

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 183
  • t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 165
  • t3.jpg
    t3.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Thats a stunning set of flora shots Paul. The detail is magic

Each and every one of those mags work very nicely !

I'm definately going to keep an eye out for a 100-200mm TN and Macro helical TC

PS how did you mount the big VIV 6x7 Pentax MF TC ?

I removed the tube holding the glass and mounted it in one of those cheap screw together macro tubes. Best thing is that when the front bayonet section is screwed onto the macro tube, it clamps down onto the teleconverter tube making mounting it really easy. Front element is 1.25" dia and the rear is nearly 1.75" dia. See pics.

Paul.

Attachments

• IMG_20160612_170519.jpg
    IMG_20160612_170519.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_20160612_170456.jpg
    IMG_20160612_170456.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 155
What a stroke of luck with the fitting

On another note, i decided to get myself another MAX dslr adapter, becuase the last one sold with my last scope, but i cannot buy one.

Scope And Skies website has died, so no point in going there

So google throws up Astro Imaging and they have them for sale

http://www.astro-engineering.com/pr...amera-adaptor/AC696-2inch to camera/DSLR.html

But when clicking the buy now button, it sends me to Pulsar Optical and Ian King Imaging

Neither of those have them on their website !

Its a strange world |8.|

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back