• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I've not uploaded a Sparrowhawk pic for a while, so... (1 Viewer)

ChrisKten

It's true, I quite like Pigeons
...rather than revive an old thread, I thought that I'd start a new one. Although I'm unsure if it's worth a whole thread.

This is from this afternoon. If it's "Fred" (been visiting for over six years and prefers Mice to Birds), I'll add more pics when he returns. If it's not Fred, this will probably be a very short thread, as this male might never return ;)

Many don't even know that wild Sparrowhawks hunt and eat House Mice, let alone see it - so here's a pic from this afternoon.

*(Through double glazing that had the reflection of the net curtain on it, so a bit grainy if you look closely.)

Attachments

• DSC08331RGp1024n2.jpg
    DSC08331RGp1024n2.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 225
Thanks for showing,been into wildlife for all my life, one way or another,never knew this,and capturing this image magic well done.PS. I have seen Kestrels take small birds,were some people think they just hover and catch mice and voles.

Last edited:
I too always thought Sprawks were strictly for the birds. Having said that one did scare the living Cr*p out of my daughters pet dwarf rabbit that was having a stroll on the lawn once when it swooped over the garden. It wasn't directly attacking the rabbit, more interested in the bird feeding station, but rabbit didn't know that and must have broken the all time speed limit over 5 metres in its dash back through the patio doors to the safety of the kitchen.

Thanks for showing,been into wildlife for all my life, one way or another,never knew this,and capturing this image magic well done.PS. I have seen Kestrels take small birds,were some people think they just hover and catch mice and voles.

I had a Kestrel visit my garden a few years ago (none since), Chris - it took a Sparrow. The thing that amazes me the most with Kestrels is seeing them perched 40m up a Pylon and swoop down to take a large Earthworm... how they even see them is unbelievable.

I too always thought Sprawks were strictly for the birds. Having said that one did scare the living Cr*p out of my daughters pet dwarf rabbit that was having a stroll on the lawn once when it swooped over the garden. It wasn't directly attacking the rabbit, more interested in the bird feeding station, but rabbit didn't know that and must have broken the all time speed limit over 5 metres in its dash back through the patio doors to the safety of the kitchen.

If the Rabbit is small enough, Paul, and the Sparrowhawk is a large female (even a male if the Rabbit is tiny), the Rabbit isn't safe. Sparrowhawks take whatever they can pin down long enough to eat, and juveniles try different prey size/type as they learn what's best. It's about risk and reward and how much energy they expend on each attempt at a meal.

Cracking shot Chris! Been going through the Forums (yeah, sad life...) and realising how much is going on, and that I probably won't live long enough to look at them all...I find it hard enough to keep up with comments in the Gallery...miss a couple of days, and there's 2 hours just to comment on pix posted. I may lie down now.

Ian

It's worth browsing these forums, Ian; there's some interesting stuff going back years. (I've not even posted a pic since before Xmas, as I've other stuff going on... I'll be back posting again when things sort themselves out)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back