• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rinjani Scops Owl (1 Viewer)

Richard Klim

-------------------------
Lombok Scops Owl

On Oriental Birding today

"Hi,
I heard the rumour of an undescribed species of scops-owl from a Bali Barat NP ranger and tried my luck. I was able to fotograph the scops-owl last week in Lombok. It is an undescribed species, apparently allready discovered several years ago, but kept surpressed for unknown but dubious reasons. The pictures were taken north of Senggigi. The species occurs in lush gardes and coconut palmgroves mixed with other trees. During my surveys on three evenings I saw a few, but heard quite a lot of them. I think it is fairly common in this widespread habitat. I made some sound recordings as well, will shall be published on Xeno-canto. The sound is very unlike the of Moluccan Scops-owl, which is also supposed to occur on the island.

Best regards,
Wiel Poelmans."

Photos on the OBC Image Database
Sangster, King, Verbelen & Trainor 2013. A new owl species of the genus Otus (Aves: Strigidae) from Lombok, Indonesia. PLOS ONE 8(2): e53712. [article] [pdf]
  • Otus jolandae
BBC News, 14 Feb 2013: A new owl species from Indonesia is formally described.

John Boyd (TiF):
www.jboyd.net/Taxo/changes.html (14 Feb 2013)
www.jboyd.net/Taxo/List10.html#strigidae

PS. Sorry, already here: A New Owl Species of the Genus Otus (Aves: Strigidae) from Lombok, Indonesia. :t:

Last edited:
BirdingASIA

Sykes 2013. Rinjani Scops Owl Otus jolandae revealed on Lombok, Lesser Sundas, Indonesia. BirdingASIA 19: 111–112.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back