• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mammal tracks, Belgium (1 Viewer)

StuartReeves

Local rarity
I found these tracks yesterday in an area of heathland & woodland on the Belgian/Dutch border, near Antwerp. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• P1000857.JPG
    P1000857.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 58
  • P1000859.JPG
    P1000859.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 51
  • P1000860.JPG
    P1000860.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 52
I am venturing well into unfamiliar territory here and no doubt others will have better information. My wild stab in the dark is Raccoon, but I've no idea if its in range.

John

The claw pattern fits dog although the pads aren't clear. It would be a very long clawed dog! Can't think what else it could be so interested in your thoughts Stuart.

The claw pattern fits dog although the pads aren't clear. It would be a very long clawed dog! Can't think what else it could be so interested in your thoughts Stuart.

I too thought the claws too long for dog (and absurd for fox). I also thought, tilting the laptop to darken the third image, that the pads were in fact very long and pointed towards the rear - hence the Raccoon suggestion.

I await enlightenment with bated breath!

John

I too thought the claws too long for dog (and absurd for fox). I also thought, tilting the laptop to darken the third image, that the pads were in fact very long and pointed towards the rear - hence the Raccoon suggestion.

I await enlightenment with bated breath!

John

I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed!

I was initially struck by how long the toes/claws appeared, and my first wild guess was also Raccoon. At that point I had no idea whether Raccoon was known to occur in the area. However, the area is known as a nature reserve, so it is presumably reasonably well covered by naturalists who enter records into the Observations.be database. A few clicks later, and I came up with a list of mammals recorded in the area over the last twelve years. That's here. It's quite a modest list, which doesn't include Raccoon, or, more surprisingly, Fox or Badger. Given that the prints consistently show four toes, that also tends to rule-out Raccoon or any mustelids. As Fox has apparently not been recorded at the site, I'm left with the reluctant conclusion that the animal must have been a dog! I can only assume that the hard ground meant that only the claws made an impression, so the apparent pad shape is completely misleading. I'm still open to alternative suggestions, but for the time being I'm stuck with the idea that it was a dog all along!

I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed!

I was initially struck by how long the toes/claws appeared, and my first wild guess was also Raccoon. At that point I had no idea whether Raccoon was known to occur in the area. However, the area is known as a nature reserve, so it is presumably reasonably well covered by naturalists who enter records into the Observations.be database. A few clicks later, and I came up with a list of mammals recorded in the area over the last twelve years. That's here. It's quite a modest list, which doesn't include Raccoon, or, more surprisingly, Fox or Badger. Given that the prints consistently show four toes, that also tends to rule-out Raccoon or any mustelids. As Fox has apparently not been recorded at the site, I'm left with the reluctant conclusion that the animal must have been a dog! I can only assume that the hard ground meant that only the claws made an impression, so the apparent pad shape is completely misleading. I'm still open to alternative suggestions, but for the time being I'm stuck with the idea that it was a dog all along!

I suppose if the ground is quite hard then the dog's paws may have slipped (depending how fast it was going) and given a false impression of the claw length.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back