• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird with yellow eye ring Saudi Arabia (1 Viewer)

AJDH

England
Today at work I spotted three birds I could not identify. They reminded me of a bunting, almost yellowhammer. The most distinct feature was a yellow eye ring and yellow throat. It made the bird look as if it had goggles on. The head was a greenish/yellow and it seemed to trn chestnut on the lower abdomen. The bill and feet were both pink. Sorry I don't have a picture but cameras are not allowed at work.

Adrian

Andrew Whitehouse said:
Hi Adrian,

Sounds like an Ortolan Bunting, which I guess would be passing through your area on migration.
I have just checked the database and it does look similar. Mine had a lot of yellow on the throat but I'm not sure how good the colours are on the database picture.

Thanks anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back