• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's conservatory (1 Viewer)

Woody

Well everyone else has got a thread of their own so I thought I'd start one for 2008. I'll incorporate my sketchbook here too.

So the first painting of the year has been started from sketches made in the dying days of 2007. This snoozing owl was too good to resist. I've flipped him and I wanted to change the lighting to something more special than the grey overcast day when I sketched him. I've gone for the low light of morning just before the rain starts, as I watched peregrines in that sort of light just a little while ago. After all what use is being an artist if you don't change things a little sometimes to suit yourself!

Mike

Attachments

• stge1.jpg
    stge1.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 331
  • stge2.jpg
    stge2.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 326
  • stge3.jpg
    stge3.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 362
  • stge4.jpg
    stge4.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 584
  • 2008-lilowl-2.jpg
    2008-lilowl-2.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:
Superb inauguration of the conservatory, and at last we get to see the work in progress, it is a real beauty. Great colours and light, love it.

I completely agree Mike! and I can see this being a wonderfully evocative painting! I love the shapes of the branches! and the owl is a joy! You think its asleep? But the slightest sound and an eye pops open! Can't wait to see the finished painting.

Thanks for all the comments so far. I'm off out sketching (hopefully) tomorrow morning then the in-laws are coming over for lunch befor they fly back to canada on monday so no painting for me...

Should be able to pick up again on monday though so I'll post updates. There's a long way to go yet.

Mike

Well everyone else has got a thread of their own so I thought I'd start one for 2008. I'll incorporate my sketchbook here too.

So the first painting of the year has been started from sketches made in the dying days of 2007. This snoozing owl was too good to resist. I've flipped him and I wanted to change the lighting to something more special than the grey overcast day when I sketched him. I've gone for the low light of morning just before the rain starts, as I watched peregrines in that sort of light just a little while ago. After all what use is being an artist if you don't change things a little sometimes to suit yourself!

Mike

Congrats on owl (and new thread) - you must be really pleased with the way this one has turned out.

Still no progress on the owl, must try harder!

Had to take son number two for interview at Canterbury christchurch yesterday (another budding primary school teacher). The advantage of all this taxi duty is that while he's being interviewed I get a couple of hours off.

Dropped in to Stodmarsh this time and, despite the whole reserve feeling very quiet, I managed a couple of sketches. The snipe was a lucky spot as he was tucked up in the reeds on the opposite side of the pool. The kingfisher flew through a few times but only stopped the once sadly. Still, in the mid afternoon winter light Stodmarsh is a beautiful place and probably the nicest sight was on my way back to the car. One of the pools was crammed with lapwing, teal, golden plover, and one or three ruff. Would have loved to stop longer but time was again against me.

Mike

Attachments

• stoddysnipe.jpg
    stoddysnipe.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 334
  • stoddykf.jpg
    stoddykf.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 288
Love the owl pic and look forward to seeing it's progression :t:

I've only been to Stodmarsh once (in July 1992 whilst staying with friends in nearby Faversham) and I went to Stodmarsh with them but it was a v. short flying visit with not so much a dawdle around and a chance to soak it all up and see stuff but rather a march around which had me scurrying along behind and trying to keep up! :C They were botanists rather than birders so weren't interested in stopping to look for stuff! :C I'm sure I caught a glimpse of a Bearded Tit too but I can't stick it on the Life List because I'm not 100% sure! It was definitely small and gingery in colour though!!! ;)
One day I'll go back and be there before dawn and not return to my car until after dusk - the way nature reserves SHOULD be experienced! :t:

Two very nice drawings Mike - I have a soft spot for the kingfisher, excellent pose, very natural. Good luck to son #2 and thanks for the good wishes!!!!

Wonderful sketches Mike!
I have also like Tim a soft spot for the Kingfisher, and I'm looking forward to see
the final brushstrokes on this superb little Owl!

Paschalis

A little more progress. Just beginning the process of building the detail on twigs, branches and leaves. With luck I should be able to do more over the weekend. This should be the first quiet weekend for a couple of months!

Mike

Attachments

• stge5.jpg
    stge5.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 378
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, we had sun like that here today (even got the first brimstone flying around!) this is coming along a treat indeed.

I'm hoping for some more sun like this on sunday morning Nick, but I'm expecting more bloody rain...

Anyway, due to me having nothing to do at work, I've been able to move this on some more. I've altered the shape of the owl's face/head slightly and I'm happier with it now. Obviously more detailing and adding texture to the tree too. Just got to finish the owl and tweak about a bit here and there and I'll call it a day I think.

Mike

Attachments

• stge6.jpg
    stge6.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 328
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back