• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is it possible! (1 Viewer)

Jeff Taylor

:t: Hello there.
I am after some info,on taking digital photos.
The infomation i would like to know is,would it be possible to take
digital photographs using a pair off binoculars(nikon 7x50).
You're suggestions would be welcome.

Regards
Jeff Taylor

It might be possible to try what amateur astronomers call eye piece projection, whereby a camera and lens is placed on the eyepiece. The camera lens is focussed to infinity. However you would need clamps to ensure correct alignment.

Anyway, you might be disappointed with the optical quality as the film would show up all of the faults of a binocular. (They are always there but you tend not to notice them when viewing directly.)

I think the answer is yes from a previous thread. I took the pic below through my Swaro 8x42EL with a CP4500 but this was a big stationary bird - other efforts have not been as sucessful. I think if you had the bins mounted on a tripod it would be more feasible.

Ivan

Attachments

• dscn1149 (medium).jpg
    dscn1149 (medium).jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 250
Thanks ivewalmer.
nice photo,did you're camera have a zoom lens or was it a fixed
lens.the reason i ask is because my camera has a fixed lens.
Thanks for the info anyway.
Regards
Jeff Taylor

Coolpix 4500 has a 4x zoom on it and I suspect I was quite near the 4x on this (can't remember now). With the bins i have you only need to zoom to c 2x to elimiate vignetting but eliminating the shake is another matter..................................... Suspect on this pic the bright sun and pale bird gave me a nice fast shutter speed.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back