• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black-bellied vs White-bellied Storm-Petrel (1 Viewer)

sclateria

Anyone familiar with these species...?

In HBW vol. 1 the authors note that the legs of Black-bellied Storm-Petrel Fregetta tropica extend beyond the tips of the tail in flight. Is this also the case in White-bellied Storm-Petrel Fregetta grallaria, or can this be a feature to distinguish between the two?

Also, the few sources I have at hand referring to these species note that the black central stripe on the belly of F. tropica is variable - does it ever vary to the point of hardly being visible?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Brad

I have no experience of either. Just in case you haven't got a copy, Harrison suggests that the variation in underpart colouration has been over estimated , though I am guessing HBW is a more recent publicaton. He states also that beyond plumage, the only reliable sturctural disciminator is a combination of tarsus, middle toe and wing length.

I don't have that reference Jane, but it was published after HBW vol. 1

The few drawings of the F. tropica i have found show pretty solid amounts of black below. I'll go to the university library on monday and see if they have a copy of Harrison.

Many thanks

Brad

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back