• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What birds of prey talon lock? (2 Viewers)

Jaff

Registered Member
Hi all.

Don't know what the correct term is so that is the best I had. ;)
On Sunday I witnessed two Common Buzzards doing the "talon lock" whereby they lock one of their feet and spiral towards the ground. I'm assuming they were just juveniles having a play but I thought this was something a few birds of prey, lke Harriers I think, tend to do in their mating displays. Is it commonplace for other birds of prey to exhibit this behaviour and what is it's actual purpose (is it just playing)?

Regards. :bounce:
Jaff

Most if not all types of Raptor will talon lock at some point, it's a regular occurrence during the breeding season. Early Autumn is also a good time to see this spectacular display, Buzzards, Harriers, Eagles do it regularly.

nirofo.

Yes, bald eagles will do that, but contrary to popular belief, it's not a courtship display. It's actually a dangerous game of chicken that males play to establish dominance and breeding rights.

It wasn't area specific. Just trying to expand my all encompassing knowledge. :brains: ;)

You wouldn't believe how useful I am at a pub quiz, I know enough useless crap to fill a skip. I'm surprised peregrines do it, I mean at the speeds they can go it might be over all to quickly, SPLAT!

Anyway, thanks all for the response.
Jaff

Okay, not a raptor, but just wanted to note. I saw red-cockaded woodpeckers from rival family groups talon lock and fall down from the pine trees until about 7ft from the ground. :cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back