• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

D7000 to D500 (1 Viewer)

multibit

The D7000 & 80-400G was my main walk around kit for a few years. It served me well in decent light but in lower light the AF could be quite frustrating and high ISO performance wasn't that great.
I've been putting off getting the D500 for while because of the many reports of noisy high ISO shots. Well two weeks ago I gave in and brought a D500 and a 300mm f/2.8 VR1 . I'm trying to find out which is the best TC to use with this lens between the TC-17e ii or the TC-20e iii

The weather has been quite poor with lots of dark cloud so thought I'd test the camera and lens out. These are ISO 3200-4000 f2.8-4

_DSC0911_DxO by leo kirkbride, on Flickr

_DSC1970_DxO by leo kirkbride, on Flickr

_DSC1992_DxO by leo kirkbride, on Flickr

_DSC0861_DxO by leo kirkbride, on Flickr

_DSC0692_DxO by leo kirkbride, on Flickr

_DSC0928_DxO by leo kirkbride, on Flickr

Last edited:
Leo,
Nasim Mansurov has a good review of the 3 converters on Photography Life.

The 300 2.8 is a great lens. I now have the MKII but the optics are the same. On my D4, the MKIII 2x is surprisingly good. AF speed is noticeably reduced, of course. That said, I know from experience the 1.7x works well with the D300. Neither can match the 1.4x in any department and I would only recommend using them in excellent light.
Regards, Colin

I use that equipment but with the TC 1.4, that combination is very fast and a very good quality also, have you thought of this combination? I also have the 2.0 TCIII, the focus is somewhat slower, and the quality decreases, except to f8, there, the quality is good.
Grettings.

The D7000 & 80-400G was my main walk around kit for a few years. It served me well in decent light but in lower light the AF could be quite frustrating and high ISO performance wasn't that great.
I've been putting off getting the D500 for while because of the many reports of noisy high ISO shots. Well two weeks ago I gave in and brought a D500 and a 300mm f/2.8 VR1 . I'm trying to find out which is the best TC to use with this lens between the TC-17e ii or the TC-20e iii

Hi multibit,

How loud is D500 when taking photos? Did you notice that the sound it makes has any effect on the birds, scaring them off?

Hi guys and thanks for the replies, some more time with the D500 I'm really enjoying using it. I've been now using the 300 + TC-17e a lot (picked a 17e up cheap) , I'm still interested to know how the 200-500 wide open compares against the 300 2.8 + TC-17e. I doubt the AF of the 200-500 would be anywhere near but interested in IQ.
I'm tempted by the x2 too and 1.4

Regarding shutter sound, its certainly much quieter than the loud slapping of my D7000

Still poor lighting conditions over here but some more shots with the D500 300mm TC-17e.

_DSC6717_DxO1 D500 300mm +TC-17e by leo kirkbride, on Flickr

_DSC7702_DxO by leo kirkbride, on Flickr

_DSC7273_DxO peregrine by leo kirkbride, on Flickr

_DSC7908_DxO by leo kirkbride, on Flickr

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back