• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

lesser spotted woodpecker behaviour (1 Viewer)

We were delighted to find that we had at least three lesser spotted/s using our peanut feeders. In addition to two long standing nesting boxes for our resident coal tits we added a full sized woodpecker nesting box. To our dismay one rogue woodpecker set about increasing the entry holes in the tits nesting boxes totally ignoring the larger box When it was possible to get its head into the small boxes the rogue bird pulled the entire nesting material out leaving the naked newborn chicks bedless. Thinking I/d do the woodpecker a favour I started to enlarge the partly drilled hole in the larger box, unfortunately this has been totally ignored. I had to screw new fronts on the small boxes using laminate flooring board. The very small holes I drilled are still intact.

My question is does a woodpecker have to make it/s own hole before it will nest.

Regards Wilco.

We were delighted to find that we had at least three lesser spotted/s using our peanut feeders. In addition to two long standing nesting boxes for our resident coal tits we added a full sized woodpecker nesting box. To our dismay one rogue woodpecker set about increasing the entry holes in the tits nesting boxes totally ignoring the larger box When it was possible to get its head into the small boxes the rogue bird pulled the entire nesting material out leaving the naked newborn chicks bedless. Thinking I/d do the woodpecker a favour I started to enlarge the partly drilled hole in the larger box, unfortunately this has been totally ignored. I had to screw new fronts on the small boxes using laminate flooring board. The very small holes I drilled are still intact.

My question is does a woodpecker have to make it/s own hole before it will nest.

Regards Wilco.

You do realise that Woodpeckers are predators and were aiming to eat those chicks.

It is possible to cut a piece of metal to shap around entrance holes to prevent this, looks like the end for your Tits sadly.

Are yo sure about the ID as Lesser-spotted? They're the sze of a Great Tit and probably wouldn't need to make the hole bigger.

A

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back