BirdForum

BirdForum (http://www.birdforum.net/index.php)
-   Bird Identification Q&A (http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   W. Wood Peewee? San Juan Is., Washington (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=120007)

Brookie Monday 4th August 2008 01:50

W. Wood Peewee? San Juan Is., Washington

Best guess is these are shots of a western wood peewee, but please let me know what y'all think. Taken on San Juan Island, Washington about two weeks ago. Thanks

(sorry - upload didn't work, and parenting duty calls. I will edit when I have a minute later this evening to drop in the pictures).

Robert / Seattle Monday 4th August 2008 01:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brookie (Post 1257484)
Best guess is these are shots of a western wood peewee, but please let me know what y'all think. Taken on San Juan Island, Washington about two weeks ago. Thanks

Hey Brookie,

Welcome to Washington State.

Say, your pics didn't post.

Try again?

Cheers,
Robert / Seattle

Brookie Monday 4th August 2008 01:56

Thanks Robert - I think they are too large. I've got to run for the moment, but I'll resize and drop them in a little later tonight.

Brookie Monday 4th August 2008 04:23

2 Attachment(s)
Trying again...

Robert / Seattle Monday 4th August 2008 04:32

Hi Brookie,

With that white median breast and belly, bordered by the darker "vest", I'd say you have a fine example of an Olive-sided Flycatcher. A common summer resident here in Western Washington.

Robert

Brookie Monday 4th August 2008 04:47

Many thanks Robert - I guess that makes me 0:2. I've got a gaggle of peeps to post later on. At this rate, they'll probably turn out to be owls. :)

I had a great time birding up your way. It's an awfully beautiful part of the world.

Best,
Joe

cnybirder Monday 4th August 2008 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert / Seattle (Post 1257510)
Hi Brookie,

With that white median breast and belly, bordered by the darker "vest", I'd say you have a fine example of an Olive-sided Flycatcher. A common summer resident here in Western Washington.

Robert

I think in this case you are right but Western Wood-Pewees can have almost as dark vest with the white belly. I think since the bill appears to quite thick, the head is pretty dark, and head shape looks good as well it probably is Olive-sided.

Jim M. Monday 4th August 2008 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnybirder (Post 1257634)
I think in this case you are right but Western Wood-Pewees can have almost as dark vest with the white belly. I think since the bill appears to quite thick, the head is pretty dark, and head shape looks good as well it probably is Olive-sided.

I agree with Olive-sided Flycatcher, as well as your comment. Also, Pete Dunne says that the olive-sided's vest is distinctive in that it always looks "unbuttoned at the top". That is what we see here.

Best,
Jim

Brookie Monday 4th August 2008 21:07

Again, thanks all for the helpful input.