• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset birding (2 Viewers)

scary-canary

Canaries forever... and i'm not always scary, some
Anyone interested in keeping a regular Dorset thread going?
If so I'd like to start by asking why there are never any decent birds on bournemouth beach. (please don't s******)
My regular lunchtime walks produce black-headed gulls and that's about it on the beach and sea. I did once see dartford warbler on the cliff below the Russell cotes museum amd this week there was a clouded yellow on the zigzag down to the beach, but never any diver, grebes, other gulls etc. Anyone know why?
Chris

I didn't type the asterisks, the forum just bleeped out the harmless word because it contained an obviously offenxive one as part of its normal spelling. Wierd huh?

Last edited:
scary-canary said:
Anyone interested in keeping a regular Dorset thread going?
If so I'd like to start by asking why there are never any decent birds on bournemouth beach. (please don't s******)
My regular lunchtime walks produce black-headed gulls and that's about it on the beach and sea. I did once see dartford warbler on the cliff below the Russell cotes museum amd this week there was a clouded yellow on the zigzag down to the beach, but never any diver, grebes, other gulls etc. Anyone know why?
Chris

I didn't type the asterisks, the forum just bleeped out the harmless word because it contained an obviously offenxive one as part of its normal spelling. Wierd huh?

Have you been pigeon watching Mr Canary? (Woodpigeons that is). Personally I saw about 40,000 this morning between 7.15 and 8.45 over home (Wick) and Christchurch Harbour, morning total was a massive 81,000! Should be a similar movement tomorrow, if you're interested, at a guess you might like to go to work early and stop at Sea View or a similar viewpoint.

MSA said:
Have you been pigeon watching Mr Canary? (Woodpigeons that is). Personally I saw about 40,000 this morning between 7.15 and 8.45 over home (Wick) and Christchurch Harbour, morning total was a massive 81,000! Should be a similar movement tomorrow, if you're interested, at a guess you might like to go to work early and stop at Sea View or a similar viewpoint.
Is the movement over by lunchtime? Can't make it to the coast from wimborne before work.

Yes, today it went up to about 10 I guess. The movement's not really coastal beyond Christchurch - they seem to be gathering into large groups over Highcliffe, then heading in a line from mid-Christchurch Harbour to North Poole, and may even be going over Wimborne for all I know! Sea View is at the western end of Parkstone and I guessed you might go that way to work?

Bournemouth Beach used to be good for divers (between the piers) and GCGrebe (more towards Southbourne) but not much cop in the last 3 or 4 winters. There are still Red-necked Grebe regularly off Branksome from the library or the lower car park on the bend at the foot of the chine, though.

Walked along clifftop from bmth pier to Southbourne today. 6 Oystercatcher on beach, red admirals and one clouded yellow.

Walked to boscombe today from Bournemouth pier. Flat calm. 2 oystercatcher and a few gulls. I clouded yellow. several red admirals

10+ long tailed tits in Lower gardens.
Hope to go to Hatch Pond tomorrow to look for the bittern. Anyone seen the otter there?
Chris

Still no birds in my Colehill, Wimborne garden. Anyone else suffering from this lack of birds? I'm guessing that th chaffinches and greenfinches have succumbd to whatever the virus was, as the blue tits and great tits still pass through, but they don't want the food. maybe still to warm and too much food still available naturally. Local fox seen at 10am crossing middlehill road yesterday

Still trying to keep this thread afloat...
had a tawny owl in the garden calling loudly last night in Colehill, Wimborne.
Also saw five med gulls in Radipole car park on Thursday. Attached picture is of three of the birds

Attachments

• medsrad.jpg
    medsrad.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 394
Last edited:
scary-canary said:
Still trying to keep this thread afloat...
had a tawny owl in the garden calling loudly last night in Colehill, Wimborne.
Also saw five med gulls in Radipole car park on Thursday. Attached picture is of three of the birds
And the barnacle goose

Attachments

• barnyrad.jpg
    barnyrad.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 319
Larry Wheatland said:
I know it's not exactly Dorset Scary , but how did you get on in Sweden ?
Sadly didn't go in the end. After weeks of planning my waster student brother let me down at the very last minute and I couldn't afford the trip on my own. Looking to go later in the year or next year with more daylight - and not with my brother. The med gulls and the barnacle goose were the highlights of a consolation trip to Portland.
have booked to go to Cape May in April, with the wife and kids - hope they don't let me down!
Still thanks to everyone who helped me plan for the trip that never was. At least I knew where I would have gone!!
Chris

great! just spotted this dorset thread!i regulary jump on a train to radipole lake as it only real easy place for me to get to!is the bittern still at hatch pond? ive only been over to look once and didnt see it!

Buzzard1905 said:
great! just spotted this dorset thread!i regulary jump on a train to radipole lake as it only real easy place for me to get to!is the bittern still at hatch pond? ive only been over to look once and didnt see it!

It was there on Saturday, both early morning and late afternoon.

scary-canary said:
Still no birds in my Colehill, Wimborne garden. Anyone else suffering from this lack of birds? I'm guessing that th chaffinches and greenfinches have succumbd to whatever the virus was, as the blue tits and great tits still pass through, but they don't want the food. maybe still to warm and too much food still available naturally. Local fox seen at 10am crossing middlehill road yesterday

Still very few birds in my edge of Blandford garden either, only one or two Green and Chaffinches, the others aren't taking much food either. The only good news is the resident 30 or so House Sparrows which seem to have experienced an excellent breeding season last summer.

The only birds to get really excited about are the pair of Ravens which regularly fly over.

I used to take lunchtime walks along Bournemouth front when I worked down there. Like you, I never saw much. Movements of swifts and hirundines in Spring can sometimes be ok and I once saw a distant, but unidentifiable raptor coming in off the sea. Other than that, I've regularly seen wheatears along the beach huts, both in Spring and Autumn.

Spent an hour getting wet today and not seeing the bittern at hatch Pond, poole. Lots of gadwall and teal and a few gc grebes there but nothing else. Wonder where exactly people are seeing the bittern? There was a heron doing its best to skulk in the reeds. Also has anyone else seen the magpie there that looks as if it is blind in one eye? very ugly creature.

was over hatch pond aswell this morning for two hours and did'nt see the bittern although i did'nt get wet it was quite sunny and pleasant.did see a great black backed gull which was new for me.well all birds ae still new to me as ive only got in to bird watching in the past couple of years.saw a commorant aswell.off to radipole in the morning to hopefully identify all the ducks and other waders.find it frustrating when i cant identify them but guess its a case off keep learning and remembering.

went to radipole lake to day and saw the ring billed gull and a peregrine falcon(first for me and was brilliant)trying to catch a duck!full list i saw was,commorant,lapwing,grey heron,bearded tit,tufted ducks,barnacle goose,coot,moorhen,mallards,shelduck,teal,common buzzard,little egret,peregrine falcon,ring billed gull(great views),gadwall,shoveler,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back