• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dslr bird video thread (2 Viewers)

peteh

Thought it would be a good idea for a single thread where we can post our dslr bird videos especially with the 1dmk4 out now as well. So any 5dmk2, 7d or 1dmk4 (or any future Canon dslrs that have hd video ;) ) bird videos are welcome here.

To start with
gyrob just posted this excellent fieldfare video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX7htTRCrdo

My first attempt was a Red-necked grebe (available in HD)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq4W-TGk56M

and I tried a Greenshank with stacked 1.4tc & 2xtc (available in HD)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieVp5HB1XgE

Great stuff!
I take it you had the IS turned off on the robin?
Im tempted to buy a directional mic thing to hopefully get past the whirring IS noise.

Great stuff!
I take it you had the IS turned off on the robin?
Im tempted to buy a directional mic thing to hopefully get past the whirring IS noise.

yes i had it Off .
Iv just ordered a Rode ex Mic
the IS noise spoils the video but is needed to stop the wobble .
I will let you know if it works.
Rob.

Inspirational stuff. As soon as I can walk properly again (bloody arthritic ankle) I'm going to have to get the tripod setup with the 300 and a TC. I'm really looking forward to trying it out in the Spring - especially on the Nightingales at Pulburough.

PeteH & GYRob,

A couple of great post from you both, you have inspired me to have a go with mine next I'm out.

I agree with you Pete that as more and more folk become more skilled at using the video function on DSLR then we should have a dedicated sub-forum

Chris Galvin

Last edited:
Im finding it very addicitive to get video when im out.
GyRob will be really interested to hear your thoughts on that mic. That was the one i was looking at.

nice vids christine and hokkaidostu.
Is the brent vid available in HD anywhere HokkaidoStu? It looks a bit highly compressed on that link which is a shame cus it looks like the hd version would be impressive.

GyRob will be really interested to hear your thoughts on that mic. That was the one i was looking at.

I will let you know how it fairs when it arives (should be this week ) compared to the inbuilt.
Rob.

nice vids christine and hokkaidostu.
Is the brent vid available in HD anywhere HokkaidoStu? It looks a bit highly compressed on that link which is a shame cus it looks like the hd version would be impressive.

SmugMug do seem to have compressed it, I'll see if I can upload it to youtube......

Ok, maybe not HD, but just a reminder to all members, that normal video clips can be uploaded to our BF TV section. It's always appreciated by the members.
regards,
Andy

Cheers Andy, but I dont think birdforum tv would work as a place for a collection of dslr bird videos.
Hd is a very important aspect of them imo. If you look at hokkaidostus sd video he posted then the hd video the difference is night and day. To me the SD versions lose all the potential high quality and detail.

I was also thinking one place for just dslr videos was a good idea, as theres quite a lot of interest in them at the moment. In birdforum tv they would get lost amongst the others I think.

Last edited:
Looking at the really good examples it is clear that a directional microphone would be beneficial, can anyone advise on type/cost as I have absolutely no experience in this area.

Thanks.

Phil

Cheers Andy, but I dont think birdforum tv would work as a place for a collection of dslr bird videos.
Hd is a very important aspect of them imo. If you look at hokkaidostus sd video he posted then the hd video the difference is night and day. To me the SD versions lose all the potential high quality and detail.

I was also thinking one place for just dslr videos was a good idea, as theres quite a lot of interest in them at the moment. In birdforum tv they would get lost amongst the others I think.

Agree.
Rob.

Well my Mic came its the Rode Video Mic, Condenser Microphone.
it sure picks up birds and gives great sound but also picks up the IS motor when on the hotshoe, so its not any good :(
im going to see if i can mount it another way.
Rob.

ah thats not good news rob. I had expected it to not pick up the IS because its a directional mic.
did you get it with one of those fluffy covers? If that cuts out wind noise maybe it works for the IS motor as well?

Nice first vid colin. I like what you have done with the hollowed out bit of tree too.. I might nick that idea ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back