• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Plain-winged or Cinereous Antshrike, Brazil (1 Viewer)

arthurgrosset

I attach 3 photos of male Antshrikes taken at Carajás, Pará, Brazil. I think that the first one is Cinereous Antshrike Thamnomanes caesius and that the other two are Plain-winged Antshrike Thamnophilus schistaceus. Can anyone confirm these ids, please?

Attachments

• Cinereous-Antshrike.jpg
    Cinereous-Antshrike.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 267
  • Plain-winged-Antshrike2.jpg
    Plain-winged-Antshrike2.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 185
  • Plain-winged-Antshrike3.jpg
    Plain-winged-Antshrike3.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 289
I agree entirely on all three, which also show a feature not frequently mentioned: The lower mandible of the adult male Cinereous (as is also the case in ad. males of the remaining Thamnomanes spp) is largely black, with at most grey on the basal third (typically even less) and/or along the cutting edge. In ad. male Plain-winged the lower mandible is largely grey, with at most the outer third blackish (and often even less). However, it should be mentioned that this feature is unreliable in sub-ad. males (which usually have a few female-like brownish feathers, esp. among the remiges), as sub-ad. male Cinereous may show more extensive grey to the lower mandible (similar to the female Cinereous). The only slight hesitation I have in regards of above photos is the 2nd, where I, from the available photo, wouldn't be able to exclude White-shouldered with absolute certainty (neither wing-coverts nor cap are visible, and the angle of the bill is potentially misleading in regards of judging its size).

Rasmus,
Many thanks for that confirmation. Photo 3 was taken only 8 minutes after photo 2 and I suspect they are of the same individual. I attach a photo of a female that seemed to be attached to the individual in photo 2 which, I think, confirms the Plain-winged Antshrike id.

Attachments

• Plain-winged-Antshrike-female.jpg
    Plain-winged-Antshrike-female.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 170
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back