• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canada, Southern Vancouver Island, Early February, 2016 (1 Viewer)

rbm

Hi everyone. This one might be a little bit tough because the photograph is unfortunately not very good. It was taken from very far away and the bird is looking away from the camera.

So, It might be a good challenge!

I've attached two copies of the same picture. One cropped but otherwise as it came out of the camera. The other with shadows / highlights adjusted in photoshop to see some of the coloring better.

I'm not good with lengths, but the tree trunk it is standing on is probably about half a foot wide. So it's not a very large bird.

Hopefully someone will have a better idea than I do!

Attachments

• unknown_bird.jpg
    unknown_bird.jpg
    524 KB · Views: 97
  • unknown_bird-highlight.jpg
    unknown_bird-highlight.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 115
Hi everyone. This one might be a little bit tough because the photograph is unfortunately not very good. It was taken from very far away and the bird is looking away from the camera.

So, It might be a good challenge!

I've attached two copies of the same picture. One cropped but otherwise as it came out of the camera. The other with shadows / highlights adjusted in photoshop to see some of the coloring better.

I'm not good with lengths, but the tree trunk it is standing on is probably about half a foot wide. So it's not a very large bird.

Hopefully someone will have a better idea than I do!

Must be a Giant Hummingbird then.

Thanks a lot! You guys are probably correct. There are lots of Ana's around here, and it turned its head, I'm sure it would have been more obvious.

As for the giant hummingbird, I think more likely I made a giant misjudgement in the size of the trunk. There was nothing in the picture to give it scale... It was probably a tiny branch!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back