• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

DBA Oasis S coat 8x42 a short review (1 Viewer)

nodd

Neil
Following on from my post about becoming a new Opticron owner I thought I would do a short review of these binoculars.
I had been looking to get a new pair of binoculars to use during my studies(FdSc Ecology and Conservation Management) at university. After looking at different pairs of binoculars including these and secondhand Leica Trinovids .I bought a pair of Opticron DBA S coat 8x42 http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/dba_oasis_scoat.htm
These were an ex display pair for the bargain price of £300 (RRP £599). When they arrived they looked brand new. I have had them for about a month now and have performed flawlessly.
The optics are clear and sharp right to the edge with good contrast, I have found the focusing to be precise positive.
The binoculars have a good solid feel in the hand with good build quality.At 691 grams (8x42) I find the weight to be ok. They are rubber armored, this offers good grip even in the wet. They are nitrogen filled and water proof.
The eye cups are twist up design and offer three stages and an eye relief 0f 18 mm.
Both 10x42 and 8x42 focus down to around 2m ( manufacture states 2.2m ) I have found mine focus a little closer. Some people might find the field of view a little narrow 8x42 (7 degrees) 10x42 (6 degrees). Though I have found this not to be a problem.
The ocular adjustment on the right eyepiece has a click stop adjustment which is positive and stays in place once set.
They are supplied with ocular and objective lens covers with the latter being secured to the binoculars with the tripod mount screw ,so they hang in between the objective lenses when they are removed. The binoculars are also supplied with a neoprene neck strap and leather case. They also have a 30 year guarantee.
I feel these binoculars are well worth considering if you are look to purchase a pair of binoculars in this price range, and if you are lucky like I was then they are a real bargain.
I have no connection to the company and thank you for looking.

@nodd

Congratulations on your purchase, you did indeed get a bargain at £300. I'm glad that you like the way that these binoculars perform and hope that they continue to perform flawlessly for many, many years to come and wish you well with your studies.

Chris Galvin
Opticron - Regional Account Manager

Thank you Chris I have noticed these do not turn up second had very often so when these turned up it was a no brainer once again a great product.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back