• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dead bird found on front porch. (1 Viewer)

naezbutt420

Dead bird found on front porch California, US.

Hi,

I found this bird dead on my front porch this morning, can anyone help me identify what it might be?

0NkqxDx.jpg

Last edited:
It's a Thrush. I'm thinking Hermit Thrush but I might be wrong as to which Thrush it is. A window strike?

Welcome to Birforum. I know its in CA but, IMO, it's a Grey-checked Thrush. The tail would be more contrasting rufous, there would be larger, darker spots on the chest and the legs would be pinker.

Chris

Welcome to Birforum. I know its in CA but, IMO, it's a Grey-checked Thrush. The tail would be more contrasting rufous, there would be larger, darker spots on the chest and the legs would be pinker.

Chris

Same, when I saw it I thought of G-C Thrush when I saw the photo, would expect more rufous tones if the bird was a Hermit
MB

Last edited:
This is much more likely to be a Swainson's thrush with the gray tones being photographic artifact. Gray-cheeked thrushes are very rare in California. The only report I am aware of in the past five years or so is from the Farallon Islands.

This is much more likely to be a Swainson's thrush with the gray tones being photographic artifact. Gray-cheeked thrushes are very rare in California. The only report I am aware of in the past five years or so is from the Farallon Islands.

I knew CA was well outside the migration range of Grey-cheeked and debated whether the dark on the lores was 'real' or cause by displaced feathers, like the 'pale patches' under the eye. I noticed that the only part of an eyering showing - allowing for the eye having sunk - was at the rear of the eye, with none showing elsewhere, so ruled out the more probable Swainsons. As Grey-cheeked is that rare the probability of it being one is slim, to say the least. It would have been nice to see some more photos though.

Chris

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back